Just bought a second hand MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Justenzy, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Justenzy macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,
    I just got my MacBook pro of eBay and I deleted everything (erased HDD without thinking).

So it says I need to install a new Lion OS, which I havnt purchased yet. I messaged the buyer asking if there's anything I could do and he said he will call apple to try to get me a download but I don't think that's going to happen.

So what I'm thinking is buying Lion on my brothers MacBook using my Apple ID and then logging onto my MacBook and installing it. Will this work? Just making sure so I don't waste my money.

Thanks in advanced everybody.

2. Cisco_Kid macrumors 6502

Cisco_Kid

Call Apple; tell them you purchased it from eBay, give them the serial number and they might add lion to you're Apple ID for you free of charge.... It's happened before.

3. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

5. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yeah, this option should work if Lion was the original software that came with the macbook pro from Apple

6. Justenzy thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it was a upgrade so he had a previous OS installed and bought it in the app store.

7. billpaxton macrumors member

billpaxton

what kind of MBP? i just sold mine on ebay and newer ones don't have a DVD

----------

its cmd + r or start up with option and there is a recovery partition which guides you through the install

8. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Seeing as he upgraded it, the hard drive does not have a recovery partition. You will likely need to download the previous OS, likely snow leopard using the restore DVDs, and then upgrade to lion using the app store.

If you know how to use torrents, download lion osx and then create a bootable usb...and yeah I know others here will oppose this.

9. Justenzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answer. I didn't get any restore discs so I'm stuck in the utility menu. But instead could I go onto my brothers computer and download Lion on there than install it on my MacBook?

10. DaveTheGreat macrumors member

Use your brothers MBP, download the "recovery disk assistant" http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433 and create a bootable Lion USB drive. This will allow you to install Lion with your apple ID over the net, I would contact apple support prior and possibly get a copy added to your ID as a previous member suggested, or just pay the $30 for the upgrade yourself. Good Luck.

11. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

+1

12. Justenzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for everyones answers!

13. Justenzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey everyone.
    So I bought it on my brothers MBP and started downloading it on my MBP. It says it was downloading and took about an hour to complete the download bar and said 21 minutes remaining for about 40 minutes and now it says 4 Hours and 25 minutes.
    Its been like that for a while now, what should I do wait the night or quit it and try redoing it?
    Thanks

14. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

EDIT: Oops, didn't notice that the download's already done.

15. Justenzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know why it's just staying at 4 hours 25 minutes?
    Thanks

16. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

No, sorry. I thought you were wondering about the download times, then I realized that it had already finished. Sorry about that.