Just bought a touch, feel guilty, crazy

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by swingerofbirch, Apr 12, 2008.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I just ordered a 16 GB iPod Touch last night through Amazon for 369.99. I feel kind of crazy for having been so impulsive and guilty since I already have a couple of iPods (5th generation video and 2nd generation nano, which I now feel like I should sell or give away to family).

I got a new job, and so I have made a bit more money, and for some reason I've always bought a new iPod when I've gotten a new job. I don't NEED an iPod, but I have this weird instinct to spend money when I get money.

Ay ay ay. I need to do something charitable now. I also need to get a case--I've been looking at the Incase Slider Case or Protective Cover. I've had Incase cases before and liked them so that's why I was looking at them, anyone have any advice? I don't think I'll need anything to cover the screen.

2. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I'm not entirely sure how weird that instinct really is. Sounds like a typical human to me. :D

3. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

If you feel that bad about it, for sure sell/give away the others. But you shouldn't feel bad about doing something nice for yourself every once in awhile.

4. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

you could feel free to give any of those to me :D

5. parafish13 macrumors member

Okay. Two things:

1: stop feeling guilty or crazy. It's unnecessary and, assuming you use your Touch half as much as I do, you'll get your money's worth.

2: Do you really need a case? It's such a sexy little thing as is, and I haven't had trouble with it in the buff (well...that one time, but we're talking about iPods here!)

6. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I got the Incase for my own iPod touch and for two that I had given as gifts; we all like how they work. Nice and grippy, plus you can charge them in the case.

Out of curiosity I put a non-glare cover on the screen of mine, the Power Support Anti-Glare Film Set. Well actually I only used the one for the front. It works fine but I haven't actually noticed a glare problem with my iPhone, which I had covered with the Power Support Crystal Film Set. I guess it comes down to whether you like a matte or glossy finish on screens of any sort. The glass is high quality in both devices, so really a screen cover is probably quite optional unless you're into sandblasting or desert hiking.

On guilt: on my scoreboard (that of an ipod junkie, admittedly) you don't have enough iPods to feel guilty yet. But it does feel good to give them away to family and friends or their kids. I gift mine on while they still have a well behaved battery. And if the gift is to a kid then I include an iTunes gift card or some CDs, and help the parents get the thing established on the household computer if they're not tech or mac savvy. A gift should not be a burden, you know what I'm saying.

7. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

The Incase Slider is awesome! That is the case you should get! It absolutely protects the iPhone and I'm sure it's the same with an iPod Touch!

8. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

Im my opinion, you can never have too many iPods. I have a 2G Nano that works fine but I still got an iPod Touch. If I were you, I would simply use the different iPods for different occasions.

For example, I use my Nano when I go skiing because if I fall hard enough to break it, it doesn't really matter all that much. In your case, I would probably use the Touch for school, the video for my car, and the Nano for sports; running, skiing :).

However, if you really are feeling guilty about have "too many" iPods, then giving them away to your family is a pretty good idea. I'd sell them though to make a few extra bucks.

Enjoy your new iPod Touch, and your existing iPods :)

9. DRDRJAY macrumors newbie

iPod Touch Fever !

Aloha,

Enjoy it and don't feel too bad! I bought a 16 Gb Touch after Christmas while visiting my adult children in Southern California and discovered that, ten days later, Apple released the 32 GB, so I went back and traded the 16 GB back in and for more $$$ got the 32 and...I love it! Not any where near as costly as all the CDs I bought to put on it at places like Amoeba Music in Hollywood..they have thousands! The 32 Gb...29+ usable...are mostly filled up now and I have over 41 Gb of music in iTunes on my laptop.

Should also mention the new car I bought with the iPod adpater in the glovebox...Playlists and music show up on the large center screen! Now, talk about feeling guilty !

My Daughter thinks I should retire and open a Starbucks Hear Music Store in Honolulu! If you see someone standing alone outside an Apple Store at midnight, it's probably just me and my Touch checking the news on Yahoo or downloading my G-Mail! I still just use my 8 Gb Nano for the beach.

Things will improve greatly when Starbucks switches over to AT&T from T-Mobile sometime soon; 2 free hours of internet a day!

As for cases, I like the Z-Cover; it's silicone and the Touch won't slip off any surface..even a car window..I tried it! ( Even comes with an armband and belt clip )

Have Fun!:)

10. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Don't feel guilty. If you find yourself not using the old ones now, just sell them on Ebay or CL at a good price and you'll make some money.

11. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Yes, a case is absolutely neccessary for the iPod (back).

12. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

When I got my Touch, I already had a 2G and 3G nano. I ended up giving the 2G to my brother, and sold the 3G to my other brother. I really didn't have to, but having 3 iPod's really didn't make any sense and the others really didn't get used that much.

Don't worry about it though. Enjoy the Touch, they're amazing little devices.

13. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

As for your question on cases, last night I took back the Griffin Elan Convertible case (the one with magnets to hold the front flap in place) for a Griffin Elan Form Hard-Shell Leather Case which seems to be very similar to the Incase mentioned. When snapped on the whole shebang is not really much bigger than the Ipod Touch itself. It comes with a cling screen protector too. Got it for 25$ at Target. I like it a lot!

The Griffin:
    http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elanformipod

Mike

14. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

hey i felt guity when i had my touch too, caus ei have a shuffle and a video 30gb, then ijust sold ita nd got me an iPhone, now I m too satisfied and it replaced my old rzr so i can t feel guilty anymore ......:D

15. atthecross macrumors 6502

you should feel guilty, there are people all over the world without a single apple product and you have several. JUST KIDDING :D

As stated earlier, just sell some of the other stuff or give away to friends/family

16. Creibold macrumors regular

Creibold

Don't feel guilty buddy, buying Apple products shouldn't be called "buying"... more like "collecting". Starting from the 2nd Generation iPod and up, this iPod touch will be my 6th iPod.

And you know what? I feel privileged to use them. Sure as hell beats every other player on the market. iPod touch=499.99; Incase case=29.99, New pair of sony headphones=29.99, The value of having the best PMP on the market with PDA capabilities and a full web browser: Priceless

17. atrevers macrumors regular

atrevers

I got a Griffin Reflect for my touch - very good, almost looks better in the case than it does out of it! Cost me £14.99 in PC World in the UK, so I'm guessing it'll be pretty cheap in the States...

18. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

In means of getting a case, I would order an Incase Protective cover, and a screen protector, with these two things, your iPod will be completely protected from scratches.

19. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

and having the coolest iPod is priceless