Just bought a Unibody MacBook Refurb

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by timROGERS, Jun 3, 2009.

1. timROGERS macrumors member

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Aren't you supposed to ask that before you buy it? Seriously, people who have bought their macbooks after the first of the year have reported that apple has secretly put in better screens from different manufacturers with improved contrast and viewing angles. A minimum of a very loud minority of people (myself included) had issues with some of the older screens.

Good luck, and enjoy your purchase.

3. JCastro macrumors 6502a

You should know to enjoy it! Congrats!! :D

Seriously though, I don't know what anyone can actually tell you. If you have specific questions and can't find the answer by searching for it then feel free to ask. Everyone here will be more than happy to help you out.

Again, congratulations on your purchase. I hope you like the switch as much as I did!

-JC-

4. timROGERS thread starter macrumors member

What is the chance of it having more RAM or hard drive space than the advertised model? I have seen people say that they have received ones with 4GB RAM instead of 2GB etc.

In the UK, what is the returns policy on it? If I open it and I am not happy with the quality or there are dead pixels or something, can I return it without penalty?

5. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

You get 14 days to return it, should you wish to

6. Shawny D macrumors member

Shawny D

I've heard of some machines arriving with "Easter Eggs," so here's hoping.

Congrats on your purchase!

7. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Don't count on the extra specs. And for pixels, all refurbs come with 1 year warranty so if there is anything wrong, an Apple Certified place can fix it up for you, free of charge.

My refurb Macbook Air had an issue where when the screen went from black-to-light colors it would ghost for a few seconds. Apple gave me an entire new display, housing and everything, for free, in 2 days.

8. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Not quite true, warranty only covers pixel issues if there are 5+ dead pixels.
    Mine came with a dead pixel and I had to return it, wait for the refund and then buy another.

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Cool purchase. I am looking to buy a unibody MacBook in the next 1-2 weeks. I'm just waiting for WWDC to see if they decide to introduce anything new (even if it's just a tiny bump).

10. timROGERS thread starter macrumors member

At the moment, the status for my order is "Prepared for Shipment" by "Fast Ship (EMEA)" and it is estimated to be dispatched today.

When would you expect it to arrive?

11. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Mine took 4 days from ordering to having it arrive

12. timROGERS thread starter macrumors member

It has just shipped but the tracking page does not work...it says:

When will tracking information be available?

13. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Not actually having any control over Apple's online order tracking system, it's hard for me to say :p