Just bought a used 8 gb iphone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fongyuen, Jun 22, 2008.

1. fongyuen macrumors 6502

and the battery life leaves much to be desired. unlike the 4 gb one i had, the battery barely lasts one day for just reg. usage before it's about dead. my question is, can i take this phone (still under warranty) and have the battery replaced under warranty? the phone is already activated but no sim card, the guy just deleted all his info on the spot and gave me the phone. and i don't have an acct with att yet. ok, thanks.

2. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

why didnt you wait until the new one comes out?
    i.e in approx 17 days

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

cuz he lives under a rock? :D

4. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

can't wait cause i'm leaving the country this thurs. :) and i'll be using the iphone overseas.

let me further clarify about usage, i only used the phone for surfing the web, no calls since i have no sim card and only played 3-4 videos. compared to my 4 gb one, i feel like the battery life is worse by far. any advice?

5. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Of course the battery life sucks. You bought a phone that could be 1 year old and could have been heavily used and charged many times over that year.

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

There are many good reasons to buy a first gen over the yet to be released iPhone 3G, let's not get into that.

I would say take it into an Apple store or an ATT store. Explain to them that the battery life seems rather short. They can test it, and might just give you a refurbed one. It can't hurt to try.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

If you didn't see the smily face...

It's an inside joke with adam.

8. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, i know i purchased a used phone, but my 4gb was also heavily used and it def. holds up better than this 8 gb one. and they're about the same age, both were purchased last sept.

9. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, so even if i don't have an acct with att and i have no sim card in the phone, they'll not refuse to service the phone? i'm wondering about that, thanks.

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Maybe he paid about $200 for it and will get charged $20/month for the data plan instead of $30/month? It's especially a sweet deal if he lives outside a 3G coverage area.

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Define "regular usage." When I first got mine and used it for playing music for about 4 hours a day and did other stuff using Safari or Mail, the battery seemed to drain to about 1/3. But then I got used to turning the display off (hitting the button on top) more often and I stopped using EVERY little thing on it (the newness wore off) and I can pretty much get by and charge it every other night. Of course I have a car charger and an iPod dockable stereo at work, so I really don't pay much attention. If it loses power, I plug it up somehow. That's the best way to survive.

12. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

if anyone knows the answer to this question, I'd really appreciate it. I want to take the phone in to the store later today, thanks.

13. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

You might need an account. But if you explain your situation, they might at least take a look at it... the AT&T stores usually are not that busy.

14. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

ok, i took it to the att store and they said that they don't handle warranty stuff? so i made an appt for the Apple store tmw morning, hopefully they'll be able to do something for me.

15. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

final update, good news, took it to the apple store and they replaced the iphone for me free of charge. :) its nice cause the used one i bought had a couple of dings on it and now i have a (refurbished?) one that looks perfect.

16. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

That's good news!

17. Surely Guest

Surely

That's very good news indeed. I was under the impression that you needed your iPhone to have an AT&T account in order for Apple to service or replace it.

18. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

Nope,
    I took my girlfriends iPhone to the apple store yesterday and complained of random shut downs, they just gave us a shiny new refurb right on the spot, no account questions or testing or anything.

19. Surely Guest

Surely

I guess they don't care anymore. I remember they used to care if it was unlocked or jailbroken. Not the case anymore?

20. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

no, actually, they still do a check on the phone to see if 3rd party have ever been installed on it, so they do care....

21. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I jailbroke mine then was having problems. Restored it and they replaced it. So I don't know if they could tell or just didn't bother to look. I had to mail mine in since we have no Apple store.

22. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

since this episode, i've been considering buying applecare for my 4gb iphone. if something goes wrong with the ol' 4gb sometime after july 11 and i take it in, will they replace it with a new 3g iphone or will i get another 4gb one? :)

23. Surely Guest

Surely

They will not replace it with a 3G iPhone.