Just bought a used Cinema Display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by smc333, Oct 17, 2010.

1. smc333 macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 23" Apple Cinema Display used. The one before the silver, with the plastic and pinstripes. It has a slight pressure mark, though. I was wondering if that is something that can be easily remedied? I've heard people say they're not too difficult to fix, though I can live with it if it can't be fixed.

Was this a good purchase for $237? I really wanted the extra vertical resolution over my current 1080p.

Thanks

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I have that same problem too actually on my just second handed display. It's definitely worth it if it works for you. I don't notice the pressure point too much on mine, but would love to fix it.

How do you like it? I personally think it's a little big, but like that it's not glossy.

3. smc333 thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't gotten the unit yet, though from what I can tell on the eBay pictures., the pressure spot is very small and pretty much unnoticeable.

I have everything Apple, so I figured I should replace my current display with an Apple one, especially for the 1200 vertical as opposed to 1080. I currently have a 23" and I love the size, though 22 or 21 would probably be fine as well.

That is the BIGGEST reason I like this one, too. My current display is matte, and I wanted an Apple display that was also matte. Glossy is ok on when I use the MBP built in screen, but I much prefer Matte for office use.

4. andris macrumors newbie

Just so you know; those displays use a different connector (ADC).
    The display gets powered as well as receive video through it.
    You will need to purchase a DVI to ADC adapter in order to connect it to any modern computer.

5. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

i dont think it was ~$230 well spent, honestly a waste really, unless youre computer is an old G4, because if not youre gonna have to spend extra for a clunky adapter to any recent Mac. And I have no clue how well it will connect to a recent Mac with minidisplayport.

easily could have found a 24" with similar resolutions for alittle extra (abut the same after buying a the cables/accessories)

6. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

I hope you enjoy it, it's a nice display. With that said, you bought a (minimum) 6-year-old display with an obsolete connector that requires a $50+ adapter. I wouldn't bet that kind of money on a 6+ year old backlight.

Hope it works out well for you, though :)

7. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

You will have to wait for the delivery to decide whether it was a good purchase or not. I bought a 20" ACD last year from a friend (her office had to liquidate certain asset) for $100. It wasn't used much in its lifetime, a definite deal of a lifetime for me. My father is currently using it, backlight is still bright compared to my one year old 30" ACD. I hope the display works well for you!

8. smc333 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I went ahead and got a 20" aluminum instead. DVI, plus it will fit my desk better,