Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrsJRod81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Hi Guys...

I bought a used Mac Book Air and the owner did not have the original disks.
I have the disks and i tried to whipe it out and now it says the hard drive has an error. How do i reformat the hard drive?

Thanks!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
People have reported contacting Apple. They get the serial number and send out original disks for that model. Those would have both OS X and iLife that shipped on it. You then use the OS X disk and format drive with disk before installing.

If Snow Leopard doesn't check for Leopard, as reported, maybe the new $29 Snow Leopard disk would work too. That is only two days until availability.

Good luck.

MrsJRod81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Just reinstall OS X, it'll reformat the drive...

It says the Hard Drive has an error. Is there a way to reformat it with out the disk? This is my first MAC. So i'm just learning.

MrsJRod81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
People have reported contacting Apple. They get the serial number and send out original disks for that model. Those would have both OS X and iLife that shipped on it. You then use the OS X disk and format drive with disk before installing.

If Snow Leopard doesn't check for Leopard, as reported, maybe the new $29 Snow Leopard disk would work too. That is only two days until availability.

Good luck.

Thanks! Maybe that will work.

felux

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009
Yes, contact Apple. I picked up a Rev A from eBay without the disks. I Called Apple gave them the serial. They do cost a bit - about $37 with shipping. But well worth the price compared to the retail package.

I don't think the $29 version of SL will work for a fresh install as it is an upgrade to Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.