Just bought an 80GB classic...will I get used to the UI?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by destroyboredom, Feb 6, 2008.

1. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

I have to say I just bought an 80GB classic and I really don't like the sluggish-ness of the UI. Is this something that just takes getting used to?

I'm coming from a 3rd gen 15GB iPod where the touch wheel was very sensitive, making it very easy to thumb through your artists with fairly good accuracy. On the classic you seem to need a perfect amount of pressure on the wheel and movement around the wheel to get anywhere. Even then, trying to go up/down one artist when zero'ing in on something I find difficult.

I'm hoping this is something that will just take some adjustment. I know there was a firmware update but honestly, it didn't seem to make a difference.

2. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Yes. My 30GB 5.5G was fine until I dropped it and now the click wheel acts exactly like the classic's,. I'm used to it, you'll be equally so with your new Classic! Enjoy it!

3. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yeah you'll get used to it - it was tough for me at first as well. It's almost like more pressure needs to be applied to the wheel. However, coming from a 3rd gen iPod, the interface will seem a BIT sluggish to you. In the 5G, it was sluggish too sometimes so it's about the same w/ the Classic.

4. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yeah, you'll get used to it. I love my Classic now.

5. destroyboredom thread starter macrumors 6502

It seems to be getting better the more I play with it. Looking forward to the battery life on this thing. It's so nice having my whole music collection without having to pick and choose.

6. jose-luis macrumors newbie

I'm coming from a 4Gb nano 2G but haven't found the classic much different form it when it comes to controls.... what I find awkward is the split screen..is there a way of select a full screen mode? and another thing is that with my old nano I could plug it in my pc or mac and work away right away whereas now I can't using in both without having to reset it! s this a malfunction?
    thanks

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Going from a 4th to 5th generation iPod, I ran into the same issue. I actually sent the thing back because I thought it was faulty, but I've since got used to it and don't give it a second thought anymore.

8. -igor macrumors member

why the hell can't the backlight be toggled with the menu button!!!!! this makes me so angry!