Just bought an Aiport Extreme Base Station... question about wireless N settings

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by spin360, Feb 24, 2009.

1. spin360 macrumors member

I heard somewhere that if anyone on your network has a wireless G card that it will effectively nullify wireless N? So in essence I'd lose the benefit of having a wireless N router? I'm not sure if I read it right when I did. My roommate has an older Toshiba laptop with a wireless G card, I have a new aluminum Macbook with a wireless N card. Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks.

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

There is an effect, but it's not as bad as dropping from N -> G speeds. I'm on a mixed network at home, and my MBP (wireless N) is about 5x faster than my wife's older MB (wireless G).

I actually haven't tested it wireless N only, since that would kick a printer, iPhone and two Macs off the network.

3. greatestash macrumors member

greatestash

Speed difference

well you will not feel any internet download speed differences with other devices using your internet connection and airport working in b/g/n mode. But yeah there is lot of speed difference in copying files over N network instead of b/g network.

4. spin360 thread starter macrumors member

Would the range of the router be affected in any way due to the mixed nature?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No, only the transmission rates.