Just bought an Apple TV (3)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by iOrbit, Jul 7, 2012.

1. iOrbit macrumors 6502a

i'm very pleased with the airplay mirroring feature, very impressed!

at the moment its still a weak product particularly in the uk (movies are not 99p and the content is limited.)

but i wanted to know, as i can't find a conclusive answer -

will i be able to AirPlay mirror my mac screen to my tv at full 1080p?

i have a late 2011 MacBook Pro, and of course the 3rd gen TV.

i will be disappointed if its limited to 720p for the desktop (already know 1080p works for video/images).

2. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

At this point, we don't have a definitive answer, but more than likely (from reading this forum), your computer is not going to be supported. Only computers from 2012 seem to be supported.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

According to Cult of Mac

So the OP should be good to go with his MBP.

4. hipnetic, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012

hipnetic macrumors 6502a

According to Apple's preview page about AirPlay Mirroring on Mountain Lion:
    Of course, we don't know what "up to" means. It could be that only the MacBook Retina supports that high of a resolution. I would have thought that the current beta that developers have been playing with would have AirPlay Mirroring support, so isn't there a definitive answer on this? Or is this feature not yet exposed in the current Mountain Lion beta?

Edit: I forgot to mention...another big question is whether AirPlay Mirroring from Mountain Lion will support streaming 5.1 audio. I suspect not, which will limit its usefulness for me. Right now I've got an Acer Revo ION nettop in my living room which I use to watch high-bitrate Blu-ray rips on. I wouldn't mind reducing the amount of equipment I have in my living room (I've also got my 1080p ATV3 and XBox 360 there), but I need 5.1 audio.