Just bought an external HD - problems writing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by charlieash1, Nov 27, 2008.

1. charlieash1 macrumors newbie

Hi guys im new to the forum, could someone give me a few tips - Ive just bought a new 100gb external HD off ebay (first mistake!) and i cant drag and drop files such as music files or word documents. It shows up on my desktop as 'Disk2.Vol1' and i can open the folder but nothing can be added to it.

Is it something obvious? It says the drive 'cannot be modified' sometimes when i try. Im on a macbook running OSX, the hard drive is an USB connection without external power supply, hope this helps cheers....

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Try right clicking on the drive icon, and hit Get Info. See if at the bottom, Ownership & Permissions if it's locked on Read Only. If it is, unlock it and change it to Read & Write using your User name. It'll likely ask for a password, so enter your own.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Also, did you format it or was it preformatted? It might be NTFS, which would give you read but not write without MacFUSE.

4. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

Open 'Disk Utility', then select the correct drive from the column on the left and erase/re-format it. (select 'HFS Journaled' as the format)

Then try again.

5. chipchen macrumors 6502

was it a brand name drive or a no name drive?

I would recommend just formatting it for Mac.

6. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Definitely. It didn't occur to me at first that the OP would try to do this on a non Mac formatted disk.

7. charlieash1 thread starter macrumors newbie

All sorted thanks very much people - I erased the disk through disk utility and im now able to drag and drop..... thanks again, keep up the good work!:)

8. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

this should fix it