Just bought an ibook g3

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ~Macaddict~, Mar 17, 2008.

1. ~Macaddict~ macrumors newbie

~Macaddict~

Ok so I just wanted to know if buying an white ibook g3 for 70$ in good working condition is a good deal or not. Here are the specs on it>>
    The iBook G3/600 (Late 2001 - Translucent White), features a 600 MHz PowerPC 750cx (G3) processor with a 256k "on chip" level 2 cache, 128 MB of RAM, a 20.0 GB Ultra ATA hard drive, a tray-loading DVD-ROM/CD-RW "Combo" drive, 2X AGP ATI Rage Mobility 128 graphics with 8 MB of VRAM, and a compact translucent white case with a 12.1" TFT XGA active matrix display (1024x768 native resolution).
    Please tell me what you think about this and even if its a bad deal tell me about it, Thanks :)

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

If the machine looks/works in good order than that would be about right. I'd maybe try and barter down to $50, but its at least a 'fair' asking price.

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

If the iBook doesn't have that dreaded graphics chip problem then $70 would be an OK price if it comes with AC adapter and good battery. One important thing to ask is does it come with an airport card? That alone almost worth the iBook itself. ;)

4. ~Macaddict~ thread starter macrumors newbie

~Macaddict~

OrangeSVTguy~
    No the guy Im buying it from asked me if I wanted the airport card with it and I said no cause if I wanted the airport card with it he wanted 150$ for the laptop. But yes it does come with the battery wich holds about 2hours of battery and the charger. Im going to try to offer him 90$ for everything including the airoport card, since this is my first Mac I wanted to know if it was a good deal or not. Thanks

5. Wireless Buddy macrumors regular

You're using that as your primary Mac? Wow.

I'm not dissing the G3 because that's what I use (but mine is 900MHz, 256MB, 40gig) but you should REALLY consider upgrading the RAM. The 600 MHz might seem too sluggish though, but can't do anything about that.

6. ~Macaddict~ thread starter macrumors newbie

~Macaddict~

Well it hasnt been sluggish to me. It works just fine. About how much is a RAM upgrade for this? Thanks for all the replies

7. NIPRING macrumors 6502

8. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

if you can get a hand on old software, then it's not a bad deal

otherwise, save your money

apple inc. has gone from g3 to g4, then from g4 to core duo, and moved along to core 2 duo in their consumer level laptop so it's way back in apple's history

but i have a totally working clamshell g3 300 ibook with only 160 megabytes of ram and luckily i have os 9 versions of photoshop, illustrator, and pagemaker and they are passable...and it has an ethernet port so i can cruise the internet

it's the most basic possible machine possible to run on the internet as i could put jaguar, 10.2.8, on it if i want to see most internet sites, but i wouldn't dare stick os x, jaguar compatible adobe software on that machine as it would just jam it up

overall you are much better off buying a used windows xp laptop from several years ago for a couple of hundred dollars and as much as i don't like microsoft windows historically, and that being said, windows xp is remarkably stable being made from those folks at bill gates land

now vista, that's a different story and vista harkens back to microsoft rushing out an operating system way too early for prime time :)

9. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I'll be posting the RAM and Airport Card from my old 12" iBook G3 for sale soon...

10. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

With those specs, I would suggest putting linux on it, especially ubuntu (or Xbuntu). Works well with slower CPU's in certain situations.