Just bought an iMac. Did I make the right choice?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Duckling, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Duckling macrumors newbie

Please forgive me if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm relatively ignorant when it comes to macs, since I've only been using gone for about a year now.

I purchased a macbook air last year when I started my freshman year of college. I have been using Windows since I first started using computers, but when I got a mac, I never looked back. I've recently decided to buy an iMac because I sometimes find myself using the windows desktop my family shared. I love the large screen and mouse. It's a Toshiba, runs windows 7, and a couple years old, so it becomes a pain to use at times. So, I decided to buy a desktop for myself, and of course, I decided to go with a mac.

I bought the base 2015 21.5 inch iMac (1.6GHz i5) with an upgrade to a 1 TB Fusion Drive. I'm not a gamer, nor a video editor, so I think the basic one would be just fine for me. The only softwares I plan to run on it are simple math ones and maybe a couple of data analysis softwares for my classes. My macbook air runs them just fine, so I figured that this iMac would do just as well. The only reason I upgraded to the 1 TB Fusion Drive was because I heard it would make it run a lot more smooth, which is something I would like.

So, do you think I made the right choice? Thanks.

2. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

I think it's a fine choice. The base model in my opinion is often a steal. The fusion drive is mandatory, in my opinion. Some people would say that you need to pick the 2 TB fusion drive, so you get the bigger SSD. But I feel that for home use, your choice is just fine.

3. brofkand macrumors member

I would have probably just gotten an external keyboard, mouse, and display for my MacBook Air if I were you. $200-300 as long as you don't have to have Apple branded peripherals (you don't). But the iMac is great as well of course. It's none of my business since it's your money but I wouldn't have spent that kind of money while I was in college (I did, but now that I'm older I'm paying for those mistakes).