Just bought an iMac, got a ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Deathsenemy, Aug 9, 2009.

  1. Deathsenemy macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2009
    #1
    Ok, so I just got an iMac, I bought a macbook Pro in june after the release of the new one. Love it! Replacing my desktop PC with the iMac. Well my question it, I am really in no hurry to have a desktop Mac, even thought I want one. However I was wondering if you guys think I should wait for a new iMac release. I see rumors and people saying maybe Sept? So if I am in no hurry, should I wait and get a newer model? Sorry for the stupid question.
     
  2. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2007
    Location:
    Australia
    #3
    You said you already have an iMac, but ask if you should get one? I would wait if you didn't need it now.
     
  3. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

    Drag'nGT

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2008
  4. 11800506 macrumors 65816

    11800506

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2007
    Location:
    Washington D.C. Area
    #5
    It's possible that the iMacs could see an update in around November, but it's more likely that they'll be update sometime after January. If you've already bought one, I would just keep it since it'll be a bit of a wait and the current iMac is plenty for the majority of users.
     
  5. Deathsenemy thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2009
    #6
    Lol... What I meant to say is, I bought it today because it is Tax free. I will not get it till the 12th, so I was thinking I could just get my money back. Been thinking of getting one for a few weeks now, thought, hell they never go on sell so mine as well avoid the taxes.

    Basically I am using it for Photoshop and Poser, and Maya and other 3D editing software. Im getting the 24inch $1799 model. I believe it will be good enough for these as I cannot afford a Power Mac.
     
  6. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2009
    #7
    I think you should return the imac.
    I would recommend waiting to buy, as a new imac may have desktop parts inside :eek: but unlikely.
    If youre in the market for a new desktop now, go with a pc, as the power available is far better for your $$$ (dont flame me for this, there is simply no mac equivalent to a expandable tower pc beside the mac pro).
     
  7. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

    theMaccer

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2006
    Location:
    SoCal
    #8
    Rumor has it that iMac will see a major refresh and price cut soon. So if you do not need it right now, I suggest you to wait.
     
  8. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

    BJMRamage

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2007
    #9
    and don't worry. that iMac you just bought will work very well with those programs. I have an iMac from last fall and use it with Ps, Illy, Indy, etc all open at once without a hitch.
     
  9. LagunaSol macrumors 601

    LagunaSol

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2003
    #10
    Since the OP is replacing a desktop PC, I'm sure he/she is already well aware that PCs are cheaper and (like the rest of us) is probably perfectly content to spend the extra $$$ to get the benefits of Mac-based computing.
     
  10. Deathsenemy thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2009
    #11
    Thanks for the advice, still not sure what I am going to do atm.
     
  11. Stephen73 macrumors newbie

    Stephen73

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2009
    #12
    Pointless waiting

    You can wait for Sept and, more realistically, November, and then wait for January when it's release is delayed. Then you'll be worried about the first batch as it's unproven in the market place so you'll wait for March, then there'll be a student offer on the horizon for Summer holidays.

    There is always a better machine on the horizon. That iMac you mention is an awesome machine and if there is a new range of iMacs on the horizon, then it's probably at a great price as stock levels are being cleared out. Expect the new iMac 24" to be $1999.

    Keep it and love it... don't put your whole life on hold. Macs are designed to be used and enjoyed, not kept in a glass case in the corner of a room waiting for an excuse (like a bottle of fine champaigne).
     
  12. dubhe macrumors 65816

    dubhe

    Joined:
    May 1, 2007
    Location:
    Norwich, UK
  13. TwoSpot macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2009
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #14
    Agree whole heartedly. I just bought the $1499 model for Logic Studio. It smokes! Crack open the box, set it up and enjoy. You will not regret it at all.
     
  14. Deathsenemy thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2009
    #15
    Well Ive decided to keep it. :) Thanks for the insight. However, it was late may, and I thought, should I get another Iphone 3g or wait till June. Glad I did in that case...lol.
     
  15. zedsdead macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    #16
    You are in no hurry, so wait for the next refresh. Just be ready to jump for it at any time from Sept onward. If you need it, buy it...if you can wait, then wait.
     

Share This Page