Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
OK.. Now that I just recently graduated from college I just splurged and bought an iMac (Don't need the MacBook anymore). I have my MacBook using Time Machine through my Time Capsule.

1) Can I simple "hook-up" my Time Capsule to my iMac and basically have an iMac with all the same applications as my MacBook had (like the licenses carry over and everything)?

If this is possible I will simply wipe clean my MacBook so I can sell it and hook my Time Capsule up to my iMac when it arrives.

Or should I:

2) Wait for the iMac to arrive, go through all the necessary Leopard updates etc... Then manually install each application back onto my iMac?

I purchased the MacHeist II Bundle a while back, and I am worrie that I will lose some of my necessary programs: Snaps Pro, Pixelmator, Appzapper, etc...

Anyone with experience with getting a new mac and transferring over applications and files would be greatly appreciated.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Also,

I was wondering if there is a way to recover my license numbers from all of the applications I own (From the MacHeist Bundle a few months ago)? Or am I screwed in getting this information?

* EDIT * Nevermind this post... I found the e-mail with all the information in it! Whew

Latro

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2008
I believe as long as the hard drive on your iMac is larger than your macbook you can use Time Machines "Browse other Time Machine Disks" feature or restore through Time Capsule to restore your Mac contents from that drive.

Having said that. It may be best to re-install all your software on the new machine. It's much more likely to work properly if you do this.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
that is what I was thinking. Anyone switched macs recently that can help me out here? I have switched from windows to mac with no problem... But from MacBook to iMac seems harder. Is it even possible to backup my iMac from my current MacBook Time Machine (Because I have all the drivers for the MacBook etc)?

tdgrn

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2008
Little Rock, AR
The easiest thing that I would know to do would be to wait to sell your MacBook until you got your iMac. The reason why I say that is because when you turn on your MacBook, press and hold the "T" button, and that will put the MacBook into Target Disk mode. At this point, you would hook up your iMac and the MacBook with a 6 Pin FireWire cable, and when you are doing the set up on your iMac for the first time, it will ask you if you want to transfer stuff from an old Mac. You can transfer everything that you want, from music, pictures, applications and even settings. It will be just like using your MacBook, except that you will be using your new iMac. Depending on how much stuff you have on your MacBook, this process can take upwards of 2-3 hours, but that would solve your problem. After that, you can just reinstall your OS on the MacBook, and all of your personal information would go off it and you would be golden.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.