Just bought an iPad 2!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Robbo-92, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Robbo-92, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2011

Robbo-92 macrumors newbie

So as the title suggest i have just bought an iPad 2 :D, more specifically the 32GB + 3G in black. Just wanted a few questions answering please. :)

1.) I have ordered a smart cover and the following two items, do you think this will do a decent job of protecting the iPad?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004X8R7VA Belkin Snap Shield for iPad 2, works with smart cover.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003BSXOQK Belkin case for the iPad, bought this so i can keep the smart cover and snap shield on whilst traveling.
    2.) As i have ordered the 3G version of the iPad, i went for the Three network and am planning to go with the 10GB data for £ 15 on a monthly contract. How do i initially set up 3G on my iPad, i know it says contact the network but anything more specific would be appreciated.

Note: not sure of the links i posted will work outside of the UK, hence why i said what they were.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

I just ordered the Belkin Snap Shield from Amazon on Friday for £10.99 with free shipping. It arrived today. I also use an Apple Smart cover and a Vaja premium leather sleeve. It's a similar combination to yours. I would say they will protect it from minor bumps and scratches but if you drop the iPad I don't think they will prevent damage.

3. Robbo-92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, I'm planning not to drop it though, so as long as it stops it from getting scratched it will be perfect!

4. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Congratulations on your new iPad 2! I received one as a birthday present in early June and just love it! (64GB AT&T 3G Black)...may it bring you at least a year of excellent service (before you upgrade to iPad 3)...:D

5. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Congrats! The smart cover is really nice because you can remove it so it's out of the way really easily and snap it back when need it. The belkin however I didn't like, the design was nice but it started cracking all around the edges, I returned it and got another thinking I just got a bad one, the then it started happening again with the replacement. I would get the ifrogz one, it has the same design but feels like it has much better material, three weeks so far and no signs of cracks, the belching started showing cracks within a few days.

6. Robbo-92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, i have already bought the belkin snap case so hopefully it will protect it for a while, is the ifrogz case available in the uk and compatible with the smart cover?

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Why do you need the smart cover when you have that sleeve?

Looks like the sleeve will do more than good enough a job of protecting it and it's not priced as a joke like the smart cover is.

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

It is compatible with the smart cover, however I don't know it's availability in tue uk, I'm in the us and got mine at the local AT&T store.

9. Robbo-92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i thought that i would rather go a little over the top on the case front, especially when i am spending that much on the iPad itself. :)

Also i ordered it yesterday from the apple online shop, where it said it would send a confirmation email, so i printed the page as well so i have my order number, but have not got an email through yet, is this normal?

10. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

The sleeve is a good combination with the Smart Cover.
    The Smart Cover can become dislodged when the iPad is put in a bag with other items. With a sleeve you don't have to worry about what else might be in the bag. The Smart Cover also can be used as a stand to prop up the iPad at a good angle for typing or viewing.

11. Robbo-92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for everyones help on the cases front, anyone from the uk know how quick/easy it is to set up the 3G internet connection?

12. Jimi1986 macrumors newbie

13. Mr.C macrumors 601

It depends which network you choose. I'm with O2 and I just went to an O2 store to get a micro SIM. Once I inserted it in my iPad I connected to my iTunes to download the carrier settings. Then with O2 you can set up your account on the iPad and manage it on there too. With other networks I believe they have to set it up and you have to call them to make any changes. Different networks offer different monthly plans and coverage will vary. The good thing about O2 is that it also gives you free Wi-Fi access at BT Open Zone and The Cloud hotspots for example in Cafe Nero and Starbucks locations.

14. Ckwilson73 macrumors member

15. Robbo-92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i am just planning to set it up and then leave it, i am going with the three network as i will be using 3G quite a bit so i thought i would go with the best value deal of 10GB a month for £15, so i presume i would set it up via the three site and then just leave it? Or would i have to call them to activate the micro sim?