Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShaneBunting

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
United Kingdom
So I was bidding on eBay for a few things which I'd like but don't need and one of those was a 16GB iPad mini white, which I ended up winning. Got it for £164. It has one small hairline crack on the bottom left on the glass bezel, but not on the screen.

I haven't had an iPad since the iPad 2 back when iOS 6 had just been released, which I sold to get a Mac again. So now I've got a MacBook Pro Mid 2012, iPhone 5 and iPad mini.

Could anyone who's good on eBay and with iPads give me a list of things to check the moment it arrives so I can see any potential hidden problems which may need to be dealt with as soon as possible?

Sick of buying electronics on eBay which say they work fine, to find something like the Wifi keeps cutting out, and the sellers refuse to deal with it because 'it wasn't like that when I had it'..

Thanks forum! Looking forward to getting back on the iPad with iOS 8!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Well obviously check wifi but first see if you can activate it. Nowadays with activation lock people end up buying useless iOS devices. It may be innocent people selling their stuff and not realizing they have to take certain steps to ensure the next person can activate the device or it could be something more unscrupulous. Regardless, activation is #1.

Next, I would obviously check wifi and cell service (if that is the model you have) and I would check capacity. I would run the serial number through Apple's site and see if there is any warranty left. If it was sold under the guise that there was and there wasn't then it is up to you to deal with it. The crack may actually cause it to be out of warranty anyway, but that's another story.

I would download an app and see how it runs. Download a couple but it shouldn't have any issues.

Otherwise, cosmetically, you just want to check to make sure things are in order. No cracks, dents, scratches and such that you weren't aware of anyway. Make sure it charges and make sure you have the Apple charger/cable.

I don't think there is much else you can check.

Here's the Apple support website link to check the serial:
https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do
I also see you're in the UK so I am not 100% sure that link applies to you but you can always search for "apple serial number lookup" and see what comes up for the UK, if it is country specific.

Side note: I text people, by accident. I trip down the stairs, by accident. I often forget things at the market, by accident. I've never bought an electronic device, by accident. ;) If I were that accident prone I would be poor.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Side note: I text people, by accident. I trip down the stairs, by accident. I often forget things at the market, by accident. I've never bought an electronic device, by accident. ;) If I were that accident prone I would be poor.

Same here. I also think that my wife would stop believing that it was an accident. :)

Hope the new iPad works out for you OP!

Señor

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
United States
Make sure you can activate it and get to the home screen. If it looks fine, don't try inspecting it with several magnifying glasses stacked on top of each other, because you'll most likely find something you didn't noticed before because you insist on a perfect device.

On another note. Can you PLEASE explain to me why you bought an iPad mini from an untrusted seller on a third-party website when you could have easily went to an Apple Store, or at the very least buy one from apple.com? Saving money is no expense for going through unneeded hassle.

ShaneBunting

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
United Kingdom
Okay, so it arrived this morning.

Acitvation Locked.

I've emailed the person asking them to remove it from their iCloud's Find My iPhone Devices, this should allow me to activate the iPad.. as seen on Apple's link support.apple.com/kb/TS4515

The Wifi is clearly working, charging okay (so the charger works), sound works (toggled VoiceOver) and from now I guess that's all I know.

I know it's not stolen, as the email address for the Apple ID to which the iPad is locked looks very like the eBay user's name.. so it's just a matter of the eBay seller doing this for me.

If not.. then eBay will need to get involved and I suppose it could get messy, but I'll keep posted.

p.s. I bought it on eBay because I saved £90 from buying it off Apple!

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Okay, so it arrived this morning.

Acitvation Locked.

I've emailed the person asking them to remove it from their iCloud's Find My iPhone Devices, this should allow me to activate the iPad.. as seen on Apple's link support.apple.com/kb/TS4515

The Wifi is clearly working, charging okay (so the charger works), sound works (toggled VoiceOver) and from now I guess that's all I know.

I know it's not stolen, as the email address for the Apple ID to which the iPad is locked looks very like the eBay user's name.. so it's just a matter of the eBay seller doing this for me.

If not.. then eBay will need to get involved and I suppose it could get messy, but I'll keep posted.

Contact the seller via the Ebay messaging centre, explain the situation so it's on record with Ebay. Any correspondence needs to be with Ebay not thru personal email. Allow 24-36 hours for a response. If the response is not acceptable to you contact Ebay and open a case. It typically takes 7-21 days for a case resolution.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Acitvation Locked.

Sounds like an excellent deal to me! J/K

You could be in the extremely small minority and it is a genuine mistake. But I wouldn't count on it.

Keep us updated on your process/head hitting a brick wall.

But on the bright side you have an extra £90!

ShaneBunting

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 10, 2009
United Kingdom
Well, 23:45 UK GMT .. whole day wasted with no iPad mini usage due to the lock.

Have sent about four messages..

1. Describing the problem
2. Link to Apple's site about the problem
3. Pasted the instructions for their convenience..
4. Told them if I don't get a reply soon I'll be opening an eBay case..

I'll keep you's updated :/ Trying to find alternative ways to break the lock.. Maybe Apple will do it if I show proof of purchase from eBay?

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX

I'll keep you's updated :/ Trying to find alternative ways to break the lock.. Maybe Apple will do it if I show proof of purchase from eBay?

Most people that have tried to get Apple to do it have been unsuccessful. Might as well get the case opened.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Shanebunting: hope you have learned not to buy electronics on FleaBay anymore. As you said, you are tired of buying things when the sellers says nothing is wrong. Ebay is very different today than it was in 1998. Very different. And I think you are seeing what it has become. Good luck in getting your issue resolved.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I hope the seller removes the lock soon for you.

Apple won't get involved in this is my belief.

Start the dispute now which may kick start the seller into action.

I'm hoping for a positive update.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
How do buy anything by accident? I am an eBay seller and most deals on eBay are good and not scams.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I've never heard of anyone successfully getting Apple to bypass the activation unlock.

Did this eBay seller have a good rating? If so, I find it hard to believe that he/she wouldn't respond. If not, you shouldn't have bought from this seller!

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland

Ask them to remove the device via iCloud.com

If they don't/can't raise a case for a refund, then contact the police with all of their info and any other info u get from them so that if it is stolen they get ****ed by the cops.

Apple won't remove the lock for you, even if you state that the owner is dead and you roll a corpse out!

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
Apple won't remove the lock for you, even if you state that the owner is dead and you roll a corpse out!

You're probably joking - but thats not always true. If they have died and you have proof you are the executor of their estate, Apple would be essentially required by law to unlock devices owned by the deceased upon request, since the executor is basically given post-mortem power of attorney to complete day-to-day tasks.

I've had friends/colleagues go through that situation, and companies are usually quite good about taking care of those things... so long as you have the proper documentation.

Anyhoo, back on topic. Ebay (like any form of selling) does have some shady people. However, there are thousands if not millions of legit sales on there at any moment. Hopefully they will get back to you (it is the weekend, maybe they are out of town!).

I've generally had good luck on there - but even so - I always buy electronics from 1st party or trusted 3rd party sources. It's just easier to get support that way.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.