Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimbo23

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
just bought an iphone 4s and when i got it the guy didnt reformat it and left all his chit on it including the jailbreak. its running 6.1. im trying to reformat it on the phone itself but it just goes to the Apple logo screen with the progress bar but doesnt make any progress then just goes to the spinning circle screen and stays there.

I cant reformat it on the computer either as it requires me to update to the newest 6.1.3 firmware correct? (do not want. i wanna jailbreak)

what can i do?
thanks

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Download 6.1.2 (google), put the iphone into DFU mode (google), hold the option key while hitting restore and it will let you navigate to the firmware you just downloaded.

Done.

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
Sounds like it may have been already JB and now you are screwed.
Never reset all on a jailbroken device.
Should have just deleted all the owner's stuff an left good enough alone

You CANNOT restore anything but 6.1.3 as of now on that phone.
This is the current IOS and the only one being signed by apple.
Any device that has the A5 or greater CPU including the 4S cannot restore to anything but what is being signed by apple
EVEN if you have good SHSH blobs, Note: some that cydia saved may be incomplete "no good"

Last edited:

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
just bought an iphone 4s and when i got it the guy didnt reformat it and left all his chit on it including the jailbreak. its running 6.1. im trying to reformat it on the phone itself but it just goes to the Apple logo screen with the progress bar but doesnt make any progress then just goes to the spinning circle screen and stays there.

I cant reformat it on the computer either as it requires me to update to the newest 6.1.3 firmware correct? (do not want. i wanna jailbreak)

what can i do?
thanks

did you press the "erase all content and reset settings"? If you did, you are out of luck. you HAVE to update to 6.1.3 and lose the jailbreak because you put your device into an infinite boot loop and the only way out of it is to restore

Since there is no way to restore to a specific version, you can only update to the latest version which is 6.1.3. Unfortunately, that version is not jailbreakable

never press that button when jailbroken, it will put your device into an infinite boot loop with no way out except to restore; never update over the air (settings -> general -> updates) when jailbroken. you always need to do a clean restore if you want to update and your device is jailbroken

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Sounds like it may have been already JB and now you are screwed.
Never reset all on a jailbroken device.
Should have just deleted all the owner's stuff an left good enough alone
What are you talking about?

Nothing about jailbreaking is permanent. You can ALWAYS DFU to reset a phone. Been that way since day one.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
What are you talking about?

Nothing about jailbreaking is permanent. You can ALWAYS DFU to reset a phone. Been that way since day one.

what are you trying to say here? I am not quite understanding what you are saying

jimbo23

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
did you press the "erase all content and reset settings"? If you did, you are out of luck. you HAVE to update to 6.1.3 and lose the jailbreak because you put your device into an infinite boot loop and the only way out of it is to restore

Since there is no way to restore to a specific version, you can only update to the latest version which is 6.1.3. Unfortunately, that version is not jailbreakable

never press that button when jailbroken, it will put your device into an infinite boot loop with no way out except to restore; never update over the air (settings -> general -> updates) when jailbroken. you always need to do a clean restore if you want to update and your device is jailbroken

yes i pressed erase all content and reset settings. it put me in the loop but i held power and home together to get it out. is there any possible way to get it reformatted without upgrading to 6.1.3? does NT1440's method work?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
yes i pressed erase all content and reset settings. it put me in the loop but i held power and home together to get it out. is there any possible way to get it reformatted without upgrading to 6.1.3? does NT1440's method work?

no, the only way out is to upgrade to ios 6.1.3. The method NT1440 mentioned has stopped working for unsigned firmware since 1-3 months before iOS 4 came out

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
what are you trying to say here? I am not quite understanding what you are saying

I'm saying as long as he has the 6.1.2 ipsw file, he can restore through the DFU method. Nothing about erasing settings on the device before a DFU will effect it as you are literally starting from a blank state.

Just don't restore from a backup, that may cause issues.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I'm saying as long as he has the 6.1.2 ipsw file, he can restore through the DFU method. Nothing about erasing settings on the device before a DFU will effect it as you are literally starting from a blank state.

Just don't restore from a backup, that may cause issues.

he can NOT use that method to restore to 6.1.2. itunes will just tell him that package is not a valid firmware or something along the lines of it is not supported. i don't quite remember the error message it tells

he can only update to the latest signed version which is 6.1.3 right now.

edit: i'm not understand what you are trying to say about the erasing settings

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
no, the only way out is to upgrade to ios 6.1.3. The method NT1440 mentioned has stopped working for unsigned firmware since 1-3 months before iOS 4 came out
That's not true, I do it weekly at work (our demo models constantly have people guessing passwords which locks the device so I get to undo it). The only difference is now for some reason the unit has to be plugged in to get DFU to work. Don't spread false information.

DFU will always work, thats the point of DFU, even if you corrupt your system to hell thats the go to method to reload the firmware.

You're right if there is no longer any signed 6.1.2's out there, but at the very least he can get a working 6.1.3. My copy of 6.1.2 (downloaded through the net) still works fine for me.

If you are having problems with 6.1.2, there are quite a few walkthroughs online as to how to do a bit of .plist editing to get itunes to see 6.1.3 even though you're loading 6.1.2.

The internet is an amazing thing if you're will to get into some manual editing.

The erase settings was in regards to a statement that was made about never erasing content and settings on a JB device.

To summarize:

If you just want the phone to work, DFU or restore to 6.1.3

If you want to jailbreak, I hope you're comfortable spending some time online and editing some plist files, but it IS doable.

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
NT
Please don't give any advice until you know what is actually going on. ;)

Indeed the OP can go to 6.1.3, yet at this time WITHOUT a JB

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
That's not true, I do it weekly at work (our demo models constantly have people guessing passwords which locks the device so I get to undo it). The only difference is now for some reason the unit has to be plugged in to get DFU to work. Don't spread false information.

DFU will always work, thats the point of DFU, even if you corrupt your system to hell thats the go to method to reload the firmware.

You're right if there is no longer any signed 6.1.2's out there, but at the very least he can get a working 6.1.3. My copy of 6.1.2 (downloaded through the net) still works fine for me.

i am not spreading false information. i said that your method will not work for UNSIGNED firmware. i did not say it does not work for all firmware

If you read his opening post, he mentioned he wanted to restore and keep it at 6.1.2 because he wants it jailbroken. that is why i told him it was not possible to dfu restore to 6.1.2 with your method

edit: the verification of the restore is through apple's server, it is not verified locally with the ipsw package

edit2: if it was really that easy to do a little bit of plist editing to restore a 6.1.2 package when it is no longer signed, it would ALL over the internet and this forum. Assuming you're talking about loading ios 6.1.3 onto the device and making apps and such detect it as 6.1.2, that still doesn't allow the device to be jailbroken as the exploits used were patched in 6.1.3.
In addition, when not jailbroken, you don't have access to root files. If you say otherwise, would you like to give a link or instructions to edit the files?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
i am not spreading false information. i said that your method will not work for UNSIGNED firmware. i did not say it does not work for all firmware

If you read his opening post, he mentioned he wanted to restore and keep it at 6.1.2 because he wants it jailbroken. that is why i told him it was not possible to dfu restore to 6.1.2 with your method

edit: the verification of the restore is through apple's server, it is not verified locally with the ipsw package

edit2: if it was really that easy to do a little bit of plist editing to restore a 6.1.2 package when it is no longer signed, it would ALL over the internet and this forum. Assuming you're talking about loading ios 6.1.3 onto the device and making apps and such detect it as 6.1.2, that still doesn't allow the device to be jailbroken as the exploits used were patched in 6.1.3.
In addition, when not jailbroken, you don't have access to root files. If you say otherwise, would you like to give a link or instructions to edit the files?

I'm not talking about modifying anything once its installed on the device, there are several tools and walkthroughs available for editing plist files (for iTunes), which include turning off your internet connection (to circumvent the server check) in order to force it to recognize an illegitimate iOS version.

I realize that we are getting waaaaaaaay over the OP's head on this one though. Frankly, I don't see a reason why he needs to jailbreak at this point if this is the first iphone he's had. Aside from skinning and a few functionality tweaks the JB scene has gotten incredibly boring (but still compelling enough to install my gameboy emulator just for a copy of pokemon :p).

Also, not to be "that guy" but the MR forums have always been a terrible resource for anyone really looking to dive into jailbreaking. Its great for telling people how to download the newest tool that can do it for them, but not really much more. Dev communities are where you want to go if you're looking to actually do something rather than just downloading stuff everyone has done for them already.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I'm not talking about modifying anything once its installed on the device, there are several tools and walkthroughs available for editing plist files (for iTunes), which include turning off your internet connection (to circumvent the server check) in order to force it to recognize an illegitimate iOS version.

I realize that we are getting waaaaaaaay over the OP's head on this one though. Frankly, I don't see a reason why he needs to jailbreak at this point if this is the first iphone he's had. Aside from skinning and a few functionality tweaks the JB scene has gotten incredibly boring (but still compelling enough to install my gameboy emulator just for a copy of pokemon :p).

would you like to provide a link for the walkthrough/tools available to make iTunes/apple's server recognize the 6.1.2 package as 6.1.3 and allow the installation of the firmware?

jimbo23

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009

Also, not to be "that guy" but the MR forums have always been a terrible resource for anyone really looking to dive into jailbreaking. Its great for telling people how to download the newest tool that can do it for them, but not really much more. Dev communities are where you want to go if you're looking to actually do something rather than just downloading stuff everyone has done for them already.

ive had 3 iphones and always jailbreak them lol. a unjailbroken iphone is just not as good. youre methods sound very confusing. best bet is to just upgrade to 6.1.3 and wait for a jailbreak i guess?

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
I suggest you contact any one of the many dev's and show them how to mod itunes so they can write some easy to use end user app so we all can load any jail-breakable ios on our A5+ devices after apple servers are no longer signing them. :rolleyes:

What ever you are smokin, you got your monies worth ;)

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
ive had 3 iphones and always jailbreak them lol. a unjailbroken iphone is just not as good. youre methods sound very confusing. best bet is to just upgrade to 6.1.3 and wait for a jailbreak i guess?

That's what I'd recommend, the only thing I've ever been able to do is combine different tweaks and hacks that were made for other purposes to do what I needed to do.

It is very confusing, and I would never call it my own method because its a hodgepodge of multiple steps and tweaks that need to be done that I've collected on my own.

Edit: you guys need to calm the hell down, no one ever said it was easy and it involves several tools that I'm confident have no legitimate purposes. It's basically combining 5 or 6 different tweaks to achieve a certain end goal. I don't really do much with my JB in terms of what most people do (skinning/themes) so I doubt its even stable.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
That's what I'd recommend, the only thing I've ever been able to do is combine different tweaks and hacks that were made for other purposes to do what I needed to do.

It is very confusing, and I would never call it my own method because its a hodgepodge of multiple steps and tweaks that need to be done that I've collected on my own.

Edit: you guys need to calm the hell down, no one ever said it was easy and it involves several tools that I'm confident have no legitimate purposes. It's basically combining 5 or 6 different tweaks to achieve a certain end goal. I don't really do much with my JB in terms of what most people do (skinning/themes) so I doubt its even stable.

I am not mad. I am just doubtful because if it really was possible, it would be much more well known to the public.

You mention how there are several tools and walkthroughs on how to do this and when I ask if you could provide link(s) to them, you mention how it's a combination of tweaks and you think it's unstable :confused:

I don't skin/theme my iPhone, i use it for the extra functionality provided. I would imagine the extra functionality tweaks is more taxing than themeing on the stability of the OS

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I am not mad. I am just doubtful because if it really was possible, it would be much more well known to the public.

You mention how there are several tools and walkthroughs on how to do this and when I ask if you could provide link(s) to them, you mention how it's a combination of tweaks and you think it's unstable :confused:

I don't skin/theme my iPhone, i use it for the extra functionality provided. I would imagine the extra functionality tweaks is more taxing than themeing on the stability of the OS

So you want me to personally rewrite a walkthrough of different tools that I'm using in ways they weren't designed for (many of which I doubt you could even find seeing as they were originally made for 2.0) and then explain to you over the internet how to use them when I myself had to spend an entire weekend to work? No.

I'm just letting you know its possible if you REALLY need to do it, I don't think it's worth the time to be perfectly honest.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
So you want me to personally rewrite a walkthrough of different tools that I'm using in ways they weren't designed for (many of which I doubt you could even find seeing as they were originally made for 2.0) and then explain to you over the internet how to use them when I myself had to spend an entire weekend to work? No.

I'm just letting you know its possible if you REALLY need to do it, I don't think it's worth the time to be perfectly honest.

you mentioned there were walkthroughs over the internet; i never thought that meant you had to write your own. So then I thought all that was needed was just a link

Nevermind then, I understand we all are busy

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
NT
I have been doing this since day one when the dev's first started releasing tools.
Just list a few of the tools that you find that now in some fashion that worked WAY back then, evethough IOS has completely evolved into a whole new IOS that really is different in its make up as to what it use to be.

regkilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2013
California
he can NOT use that method to restore to 6.1.2. itunes will just tell him that package is not a valid firmware or something along the lines of it is not supported. i don't quite remember the error message it tells

he can only update to the latest signed version which is 6.1.3 right now.

edit: i'm not understand what you are trying to say about the erasing settings

He will get error 3194

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World

It's kinda weird to read a G3 posting this.

The restore on a idevice requires a "phone home" to the apple server, that is the whole point of singing the firmware in the first place.

If you have a method of circumventing this, PLEASE DO post it however difficult it maybe, because all the DEVs say it can't be done and LOTS of people are stuck on unjailbreakable firmware. The best guess for the next jailbreak is end of the year, we'll know more after the first beta of iOS7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.