Just bought an iPhone and loving it :D

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 7on, May 10, 2008.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I finally bit the bullet and bought myself an 8GB iPhone. It's very nice needless to say :) I had to buy it from the AT&T store instead of the Apple store... The Apple store was out of 8GBs so my aquaintance there reserved me one at the AT&T store. It was kinda awkward since I was planning to unlock and use with T-Mo. But overall no problems :) I even managed an unlock without jailbreak :p Huzzah! Just thought I'd add to the "I don't have any qualms" crowd.

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Why? The newest model will be out in about a month.... I would return it.

3. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Congrats, but I agree, you should have waited another month or so.

4. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Nah, T-Mo doesn't use the same 3G as AT&T. Plus I'd have to wait for the newer model to be unlocked. And I don't see myself leaving T-Mo for AT&T anytime soon. Plus I've got everything I need on here and I have over half
    my space free :)

5. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

Congratulations on your purchase. I've no doubt you'll get plenty of enjoyment out of the phone. I've had an 8GB since last July and love it -- couldn't imagine life without it now. :)

6. 12GA macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Agreed-congratulations! You have just begun to see how hooked on iPhone your going to be LOL!

7. coachfreak macrumors member

Congrats... once you have one you will not be able to live without it! :D

8. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

Glad you like your new toy ! I wouldn't have waited either, as said we don't know how quickly the new one will be unlocked/jailbroken.

Make sure you check out the-iBlog.com too :)

9. aandf1978 macrumors member

congrats on your purchase. As previously stated now that you have it, life won't be the same without it.

10. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

how did u do the unlock without jailbreak? i would love this. i would virginize my iPhone and then do unlock without JB. therefore if i ever go into an apple store for help they will offer it to me coz they will see o2 as the network name and no SSH or Applications..

11. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

I just pulled the trigger too. Got it from an ATT store, the guy kept trying to get information from me, run credit checks and whatnot. I basically told him I'm not planning to use it on ATT and just left.

I could have played the waiting game, or got a newer one in Australia when I go back in June, but life is too short to wait.

12. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Congrats and thank you for the great attitude! It seems like nearly every single person like you who buys an iPhone lately posts the next day condemning the thing because they want to return it for the new model. (that isn't even out yet, mind you) :)

13. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Congrats! I just got one a couple of weeks ago and don't regret it at all! After 6 months of owning a Touch (which I just sold in case the new phone seems worth the upgrade) had to get the phone. After surfing the rumor mills and link bait, Im one of the few in the minority that doesn't think the new phone is coming in June. We'll see, It could come out tomorrow!

Since the latest 2 betas of 2.0 switched from img2 to img3, the dev team has been pretty stumped. Its looking like there might be a wait before 2.0 is unlockable and jailbroken. And don't believe Zibri when he says he's jailbroken it, he's lying. So in that respect it makes a lot of sense to get the 1st gen.

Have fun with your new iPhone!

14. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Wow, that is so true. "life is too short to wait", couldn't say it any better myself.

15. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Haha wasn't easy to figure out, as noone seems to want to do it :)

The easiest method I've found is to use Pwnage and create a custom firmware with everything on. Activate, Unlock, BSD, installer, etc and install that.

Once you're up and running, create another custom firmware that's only Activate. Everything else needs to be unchecked. Then Restore using that custom firmware.

An unlock is persistent. Short of upgrading the baseband it should always be unlocked unless you relock it intentionally. Before trying the "Activate Only" firmware I tried the Real Apple firmware. It "worked," I had T-mobile show up on my screen. But I could only slide for emergency. So I repwned and installed the activate only firmware.

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Re: unlocking.

I'm curious.

Why aren't more people using those piggyback SIMs that unlock any phone without having to do software hacks?

Seems like a great way to unlock and yet still keep the warranty, upgrade ability, etc.

17. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

I considered that. Nowadays it's just easier to software hack. Plus I don't want to ruin my t-mo sim! :eek:

18. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I would have waited for the 3G but I suppose someone has to buy up the old stock.

19. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

I'm a little concerned about battery life on the new version tbh.

20. isimon1207 macrumors member

I am so confused as well brother!

I was so close to getting one yesterday but I ended up not. I am so tempted though.

I will probably break down and buy one next weekend though.

21. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

definitely do

I put off buying one for a long time :)

22. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Yes more people buying up this stock means more store sell outs and more demand pushing for a 3G release

23. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure that's not the way Apple works.

In the meantime, if the newest version of iPhone is that much cooler, great. That just means next year when release the 3rd version it will be even cooler.

It's not like the newest version is a forever thing. Everything ages, and two years from now everyone will be laughing at others who are stuck using obsolete technology.

Technology isn't a very fun subject to play the waiting game with as there is ALWAYS something better around the corner. So you might as well enjoy now because it will be gone tomorrow.