Just bought an iSight on eBay

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jshbckr, Jun 19, 2007.

1. jshbckr macrumors 6502

Hey, I just got an iSight for $142 on eBay. Comes with original cable and two stands (the table stand and laptop stand). No box, but oh well, I won't be keeping it in the box!

The seller said the camera works great, but they don't need it since they just got a MacBook.

So how'd I do?

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Considering Apple doesn't sell them anymore you did fine if it works ok.

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

You did good. I've heard of them going much higher than that and they often don't include the table stand (it may have originally been sold separately).

4. Indohottie macrumors 6502

Indohottie

I sold 2 for 425 plus shippiing a month ago.. so i say you did well.

5. jshbckr thread starter macrumors 6502

See, the thing was... He made the mistake of typing "iSight" wrong. His title and description only said "I-Sight". So there was only one bid before I bidded at the end.

But now the thing is... I did some back checking on completed auctions (just to see what I paid compared to others), and I noticed that the picture this seller used (which looked like a personal snapshot of the item up for auction) was used in the past by a different seller. Now I'm a little bit worried, because I think that is a little sketchy.

6. showtime macrumors 6502

Wow that actually seems like a good way to get a good deal off of things on ebay. Does the seller have good feedback? Maybe you can email the seller about the item specifically.

7. jshbckr thread starter macrumors 6502

The seller only has 2 feedback, but it wasn't like I was buying something like a car or something, and everyone has to start somewhere (Everyone had 0 feedback at one point!)

I sent the seller a message about it but haven't received a reply. I said that I noticed the picture used by another seller in the past and that I'd like to see product that was in the auction, because I'd be more comfortable seeing the actual item before sending payment.

I do wonder why the picture was used though, as the seller said they were selling it because they got a MacBook (they could have managed to take pictures with the built-in iSight--I'd rather do that than steal a picture!)

Another reason it bugs me is because in the picture, I could see the plastic protective case around the iSight, but in the description it isn't mentioned. I really want the case because I'll be using it with my PowerBook.

8. showtime macrumors 6502

The seller may of just "borrowed" that picture because they were too lazy to take their own. Of course they could've just used their macbook's built-in isight but it probably didn't occur to them or they were just too lazy.

9. jshbckr thread starter macrumors 6502

That could be, but I find it sketchy. Whenever I post stuff, I take my own pictures, as detailed as possible, all containing a piece of paper with my username.

10. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

The seller also had another one listed for $130 that no one bid on, with the same picture I think.

11. jshbckr thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes you are correct. I noticed that, and while that should register as "sketchy" in my book, I just figured that if someone took their own pictures (like it appeared) and were selling two of the same item, it isn't too bad to use the same picture. Plus, in the description, it said "The cameras work great" so it seemed more reasonable that he was selling two cameras.

12. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

Good thing you picked up on the sketchyness before sending payment.. hopefully he can provide original pictures.

13. jshbckr thread starter macrumors 6502

I talked to the seller, and they took some new pictures for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I checked the meta data and they said they were taken around 2:43PM today (seller in CA), while I'm in Central time and it was around 5:15 my time when I actually checked my e-mail. So everything seemed to fit with our e-mails and the time the pictures were taken/sent/received.

So I sent payment, hopefully it will be here soon!