Just bought an MBP13, few little questions1

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crath, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Crath macrumors newbie

1. When I pick up the laptop, or even move it a nudge, it clicks. Sounds like metal on metal, but i'm not sure what it is.

2. When it is sitting on a flat surface, I am able to push down the lower right side a bit and tap the surface, so I'm guessing it isn't perfectly flat.

Are these 2 things normal? Or something I should look into? thanks! I heard some places were offering MBPs for cheaper, which i guess shows a possible update next tues (yeah right). I have 10 more days to return this one.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. This is the so-called SMS (Sudden Motion Sensor) which parks the HDD read/write head so it won't crash onto the platter and damage your HDD. It's a feature and not a defect.

2. It should be, is the surface even? Have you tried other surfaces?
    Maybe bring it to the Apple Store and show it to them.

3. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Mine also rocked a bit when i first got it, but I have not noticed the issue recently. Maybe after all the aluminum warms up a few times, the problem disappears. If it does not, take it in, but I would not make it a huge priority.

4. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I, on the other hand, would make it a priority. A Macbook has a laptop inside (surprise surprise), and laptops have hard drives. HDs don't like movement. It's bad enough using it on a train or a bus, where the surface is constantly rocking - the actual base of the laptop should be flat!
    You paid top dollar for a, lets face it, older generation (hardware-wise) laptop (don't flame me here, I am pointing out facts), so the least you should have is a PERFECT exterior.

Check if all four feet are properly inserted into the base plate, and try putting the laptop on a surface you know must be flat.