Just bought an "open box" Macbook, help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by moonislune, Jul 31, 2009.

1. moonislune macrumors regular

Hi, I just bought an open box Macbook from Best Buy and got a great deal on it for $840. I took it home and reinstalled Mac OS X Leopard, but I think there is a problem. There is no serial number! What does that mean and what should I do? The Macbook is working great btw. The system specs read:

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB51.0073.B06
    SMC Version: 1.32f8
    Serial Number: System Serial#
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I would call best buy and see what they say. Because you can't have a warranty if you don't have a serial. That is really strange.

3. Smacky macrumors 6502

Looks like the logic board was replaced but they forgot to reflash the serial number

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

I'd say call Apple and see what's up. Tell them the story and see if you need to contact BestBuy. Seems weird, as this is the first time I've ever seen a Mac with no serial number in the System Profiler.

5. Pants Dragon macrumors regular

That's what my MacBook Pro says in System prefs too. I got a logic board replacement due to the defective NVIDIA graphics issue. The computer itself still has the serial number on it though.

6. moonislune thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all for your suggestions. I took the battery off and found the serial number on the side. I will go by Best Buy tomorrow and then call Apple if BB is not helpful. Again, many thanks!

7. moonislune thread starter macrumors regular

Update

Just an update. I called Apple and they said that the logic board had been replaced. It was still under full warranty, but I had to fax my receipt so they could adjust the warranty to the day I bought it. It is also eligible for Apple Care. Thanks again!

8. Smacky macrumors 6502

Apple have a software tool that is used to flash the logic board with the serial number

9. Pants Dragon macrumors regular

Link?

10. Smacky macrumors 6502

You have to be an Apple service provider to access the utility

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So what you posted is moot.

12. Smacky macrumors 6502

How is it moot?
    Take the laptop to an Apple store or authorised service centre, explain the situation and get them to reflash it as per the above procedure
    Or dont, doesnt make a difference to me
    Noone else in the thread successfully identified the problem, so whatever

13. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

WOW!!!! I thought this forum was a place for people to collectively share their knowledge for the greater good of helping a less knowledgeable member.

what good does it do to shoot someone down like that for sharing what he knows.

what i got from his post was APPLE has the ability to correct the serial number so no need for the OP to worry.

14. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

Smacky, don't be discouraged by useless people like alphaod. Your post was very helpful.

15. pc141mac macrumors newbie

Does this tool also let you change the MAC address? I (supposedly) just got the logic board replaced on my MacBook Air, and it has the same wireless MAC address as before (MBA has no built-in ethernet).

I didn't think the MAC address stayed the same through any logic board replacement.

16. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Take a look at ifixit.com - the AP card is separate from the logic board.