just bought an unlocked 3g iphone, what about the plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kevjen888, Nov 17, 2008.

1. kevjen888 macrumors 6502

the phone is for my wife, currently she's a part of a 4 line family plan that has no data plan. does AT&T allow to add on a 3g iphone data service for one of the lines? or does she have to sign up an entirely new contract with AT&T.

2. kevjen888 thread starter macrumors 6502

received the phone today. just inserted wife's at&t sim card in and she was able to browse the web via 3g. why is that? her sim card has no data plan, could it be because the phone was unlocked?

3. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Your best bet is to call AT&T. Else good luck looking on your next monthly bill...

4. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I agree

I wouldn't get on the net with that sucker at all until you call ATT. I have never heard of the SIM blocking data plans. I think it all has to do with the wireless account. I think? all SIMs allow net access as long as the network is data capable.

I know all of my old SIMs (from various countries I lived in), even pay as you go SIMs, allowed internet access, I just never used it bc it was so freakin expensive without a data plan.

BTW, How did you get an unlocked 3G? Did you import it from Europe?
    How much does that cost nowadays?

5. couto27 macrumors 6502

6. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

You have to go out of your way to ask AT&T customer service to totally block data usage.

If you don't sign up for any data plan at all, and also haven't specifically requested AT&T to block your data access, the default state of affairs is to allow data to flow as normal, but charge a per-kilobyte fee. It can get very expensive very quickly with a rate of around half a cent per kilobyte. A 2 MB web page would cost you about $10.

7. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

8. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

but hey, i'm more interested where and how you got your iPhone3G unlocked from. please share the good news.

9. Kevlar macrumors 6502

Really hope you didn't browse a lot because they will probably be charging you for every mb you used on your wifes next bill.

10. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

DUDE FREE INTERNETS!!!!1

SURF AND DOWNLOAD ALL YOU CAN UNTIL THEY FIGURE IT OUT!!!!!11!1oNe!

JK. Call them and request that they either upgrade your plan, or turn off the data!

11. couto27 macrumors 6502

iphone unlock in portugal

its real legal??, i mean does apple realease the unlock iphone to portugal??

or they use jailbreak?

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

When the iPhone came out you could buy the iPhone locked to a carrier and then pay them to do a hardware unlock. Now you can buy them already unlocked but they are a little more expensive than if you buy them locked.

It's perfectly legal. You can unlock almost all phones (if not all) sold here in Portugal legally.

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

They sell it unlocked here in Australia too. Different laws in different countries.

The carriers are obliged to unlock the phone in Australia if asked (fees & charges etc.... sometimes they can get around it).

I'm getting one in a few weeks completely unlocked. I've unlocked a couple for some of the less-knowledgeable phone companies in the area - they do all the stuff on their end, the IMEI number is sent to a database and then you restore the phone and iTunes shows a message:

Congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked.

And that's it...

14. kevjen888 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks of replies. i definitely gonna call AT&T first, just came back from a business trip. but how should i tell them, will they blow me off once they hear the iphone is unlocked? also, can i just plug in the unlocked iphone to my itune and download the new 2.2 firmware on to it?

15. kevjen888 thread starter macrumors 6502

just called AT&T had them turn off the data service, they called internet service on their end. now i turned on the iphone and the 3g symbol disappeared on the upper left corner. question here i can still use it in any wifi environment to surf the net right without being charged by AT&T right?

16. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

You are correct.