Just bought and Ipod touch last week w/ student discount

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by erifneerg, Sep 9, 2008.

1. erifneerg macrumors member

so i just bought an ipod touch w/ the student discount last week, assuming the ipod would simple be announced today and sold after the sale. Does anyone know if it's possible to get it swapped for the new one?

2. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

no because it looks like the deal for the free ipods is still only for the older generation ones. I bought one too but luckily I sold it for 250 last week.

3. djc6 macrumors 6502

Last year I bought a 24" iMac (with the student discount) right after the 3rd gen iPod nanos came out, and they managed to dig up an 2nd gen ipod for me - I wasn't entitled to the rebate on what was then the 3rd gen ipod nano.

4. taytho macrumors 6502

clearing out older models is kind of the point of that sale.... they have done this in some way every year for the past 3-4 years

5. erifneerg thread starter macrumors member

i understand that's the point, but if you notices you can use the discount to buy the new ipod touch (however, the normal $300 rebate has been reduced to reflect the new prices).

6. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

no I think you are seeing that incorrectly. you can only get the older ipod touch with the discount and you receive a $209 rebate check, which reflects the new price of the older model. so actually you still get the better deal since you get a 299 dollar check and you can still theoretically sell yours for at least 200, provided its unopened

7. djc6 macrumors 6502

The terms and conditions were updated today:

http://images.apple.com/promo/pdf/BTS_08_TCS_20080909.pdf

but still show the old ipod touch/ipod nano part numbers.

8. brettinlj macrumors member

The rebate terms HAVE NOT been updated on the link I clicked from the Educational Store checkout. This means that legally Apple MUST give a $299 rebate on the old $279 16Gb Touch. The link still links to BTS08_TCS.pdf and that is the only one I'm clicking on!

For other's info, go through the Educational Store checkout flow and when it says "Yes, I want a free iPod. Here's How." The Terms and Conditions link is in step 1: Select your iPod.

9. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Are you serious? They don't have to do anything they don't want to do. They are being generous just giving one away for free. Yes they want to get rid of old stock, but why complain. It is FREE.

10. brettinlj macrumors member

Ummmmm... yeah... actually they kind of do. It's called California Law. Even if a contract has a term that says it can change the terms any time without notice, the changes have to be messaged to the other party. By presenting the earlier terms, the customer is buying a more expensive iPod, thinking they will get the rebate price. If the terms are changed after they make the decision, then the customer has real monetary damages.

Rebate laws are very clear, especially given changes made in the past few years.

11. bbydon macrumors 6502a

never hurts to go to the store an try...or call them see what they say.

12. erifneerg thread starter macrumors member

highly unlikely they give it to me. like many people have pointed out, the terms only apply to the old model.

13. swb1192 macrumors 6502

just bought an iPod touch with an education discount , and I at first felt the same way as the OP until I realized that I'd rather not put up with the whole entire rebate deal.

My question, though, is if there is any way to get apple credit if I just paid the 10 dollars to get 2.0 this Friday. I think it's unfair that I have to pay another 10 dollars just a few days later...?

EDIT: I misread my SMS updates this morning... nevermind..

14. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

dont know if this has been said, i dont feel like reading today:

the whole point of the student discount is basically to clear old stock so they could make room for new ones.

15. alchemistmuffin macrumors 6502

my friend got a new touch for free with student promo

That's odd....

My friend got a Macbook Air for college today, and he got a free 2nd Gen iPod touch as a promo.....

16. seamustry macrumors member

17. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

That's not true. Total BS. I just called and they said they the 2nd gen is not available for anyone for free under the b2s deal. Only the 1 gen ones.

18. alchemistmuffin macrumors 6502

No joke, he did get a 2nd gen for free....

Could've been a mistake though, he was supposed to get the 1st gen iPod touch, and was given the 2nd gen iPod touch by mistake.....

19. erifneerg thread starter macrumors member

you can get a discount but not for free on the 2nd gen ipod touch

20. pjgeer macrumors member

2nd Gen Touch haven't shipped from apple yet, only the new nanos have shipped. I am a buyer of apple product for a retail business, so I can see the shipping dates. As of 11 am this morning I can not even place an order for the touches.

Pj

21. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Actually, I'm holding mine that I ordered from Apple September 9th.