Just bought Apple TV 3. So any tips?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DaGrandMastah, Jul 4, 2012.

1. DaGrandMastah macrumors 6502a

Hey all, loving this new device but still learning about it. My main concern now is that I have a lot of videos on my computer that are not itunes compatible (ie all of Spains World Cup matches). What's the best way to get them to play on Apple TV? Would I have to convert using handbrake? If so, what's the best way to maintain the quality of the original files? Should I use the Apple TV 2 setting in the absence of an Apple TV 3 preset??

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Handbrake can do it, the latest nightly build has an ATV3 preset.

3. Europa13, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012

Europa13 macrumors 6502

I rarely convert movies anymore. I just stream them from my computer to my iPad or Apple TV 2 via the Air Video app. It does live conversion so they don't have to be in an iTunes-friendly format. Just start the video streaming on your iPhone/iPod/iPad and then kick it over to your TV with Air Play. It's an awesome app. You can use it on 3G as well.

4. DaGrandMastah thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nice. I have to check this app out. Is it in the mac app store or the itunes store?

Regarding the nightly builds for Handbrake, I heard that those can be unstable. Have you tried that build out?

5. Europa13 macrumors 6502

It's an iPhone/iPad/iPod app. You use Air Play to stream it to the TV once it's playing on the iDevice.

6. Maury macrumors 6502

If they are MKV's in some sort of medium or high-def format, try Subler.

7. timothy632 macrumors member

AppleTV3

I use the Smart Converter app in the Mac App Store. It takes any video and will convert it. It will automatically add it to iTunes. You just turn on home sharing on your AppleTV and view all your media from iTunes.

8. DaGrandMastah thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the suggestion. I just started using this and the program is awesome. Loving it so far.

One question though....do you know what the enabled checkbox is for in the screen with all the video, audio and subtitle tracks? I can't figure out what the hell it does and if it should or shouldn't be checked.

9. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I tried that, but apparently, my home's wifi is not fast enough to handle so many devices streaming at the same time. :(

Really looking forward to Mountain Lion enabling airplay on my imac (which I will control using splashtop).

10. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I used to check all of the checkboxes, but I've recently learned that you really only want to check the video and the primary audio tracks. I think the audio track that you want to check would be the AAC track, not the AC-3 track. The checkbox is used to determine the "primary" track.

Note - I've not had any issues with the files that I checked off all of the boxes. I figure if I do notice problems in the future, I could always re-Subler those files.

11. slammmed macrumors newbie

mkv to mp4 for itunes

This method works for iTunes.

The video below is hard to understand at first, but if you follow the directions you will be able to change mkv files to high quality mp4 files that can be dropped into itunes without having to use handbrake to encode the video.

You will need to download Subler and buy Quicktime 7 Pro. Its about $29USD.

If your files are larger than 4gb you will need to check the 64 bit chunk offset box when saving the file.
    This might limit compatability with PS3 or XBOX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yJkg3kgSr0

Worked well for me! :D