Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enigma373

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
Hello all,
Ok heres the scoop. I found a killer deal on craigslist where some local college student was selling their brand new still in box unopened black macbook. Its a great unit and works fine. Heres the dilemma, I just found out that the new macbooks come with 128 mb of shared vram. My laptop was purchased on 12-11-07 and only had 64 mg of video memory. Since they are both the same price i just happened to get an older model from the campus bookstore. can i trade it in to apple for a newer model? It has only been a week and i have the original sales reciept. The thing is, i probably cant take it back to the campus bookstore since i am not a student there and that is where the reciept/macbook is from. I know this may seem petty but i think you all can relate with me. 64mb just aint enough. That was top of the line like 6 years ago or more. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Hello all,
Ok heres the scoop. I found a killer deal on craigslist where some local college student was selling their brand new still in box unopened black macbook. Its a great unit and works fine. Heres the dilemma, I just found out that the new macbooks come with 128 mb of shared vram. My laptop was purchased on 12-11-07 and only had 64 mg of video memory. Since they are both the same price i just happened to get an older model from the campus bookstore. can i trade it in to apple for a newer model? It has only been a week and i have the original sales reciept. The thing is, i probably cant take it back to the campus bookstore since i am not a student there and that is where the reciept/macbook is from. I know this may seem petty but i think you all can relate with me. 64mb just aint enough. That was top of the line like 6 years ago or more. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you
The amount of shared memory used by the laptop is dynamic, so your assumptions are incorrect. Click the apple logo in the top left corner and then select "About this mac". If your processor is a 2.2 GHz one, you have the newest model without a doubt.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
The amount of shared memory used by the laptop is dynamic, so your assumptions are incorrect. Click the apple logo in the top left corner and then select "About this mac". If your processor is a 2.2 GHz one, you have the newest model without a doubt.

Matek has it, frankly, for what most people need to do, 64MB is more than sufficient actually. And since the system can dynamically allocate RAM based on usage, you can easily drive a 1920*1200 resolution display on the first gen MacBook (I know, I have done it) let alone the new Santa Rosa MacBooks.

Heck, here is an even easier test, look at the keyboard, if you have play/pause, next and previous buttons up in your F1-F12 keys, you have the new one.

enigma373

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
I appreciate all your replies. It is indeed NOT the Santa Rosa. It is the 64MB one...I plan on using this for light recording via pro tools mbox 2. Do you think it is a big enough improvement where i may want to sell this current one and get the Santa Rosa or is the new video card, new processor and increased FSB speed not really worth it?

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
I appreciate all your replies. It is indeed NOT the Santa Rosa. It is the 64MB one...I plan on using this for light recording via pro tools mbox 2. Do you think it is a big enough improvement where i may want to sell this current one and get the Santa Rosa or is the new video card, new processor and increased FSB speed not really worth it?

Not for the kind of price hit you'll take selling the old one and buying a new one.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
I agree, it's not that big a leap and not worth the hit you'd take in the pocket.

In your situation I would only upgrade to SR for the 4GB RAM (opening lots of CS3 apps at the same time is nice), not the X3100 and modest CPU increase. The boost from 950 to X3100 (which is set to 144MB BTW...see pic) is obviously preferred but not really that big a leap - it's not going to bring you from "That was top of the line like 6 years ago or more" to present day. Maybe 5 years ago ;)

If you're really concerned about graphics cards and memory, you should be thinking MBP with the dedicated GPU. I used to have the first gen MB (2GHz CD 2GB RAM) and never had a problem with the 64MB. I upgraded primarily for the RAM and C2D + speed bump. And I do graphic work.

IMHO you'll never really feel the difference if you upgrade every revision. Better to wait 12-18 months at least to get any real-life benefit.

Attachments

• x3100.jpg
    x3100.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 88

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
If you really want the SR MacBook, and if you are still within the 14 day return period, then why don't you ask the college student you bought it from to go with you to the store to try to exchange it? You can buy him/her lunch or something as a thank you...

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Most likely,
The MB is outside the return period
The seller is getting a higher price from you then returning it
The seller got as a gift from parent and does not have receipt (highly likely)

Either way, Opened = 10% restocking fee, so you are hit with at least $75 if not $150 of fee, if it can be returned.

enigma373

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
i have the original receipt and it was purchased a little over a week ago but i dont know how i feel about bothering that nice college girl that sold me this shiz...i think im just gonna wait a while then sell this. thanks for all the input.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007

What's the CPU speed?

i have the original receipt and it was purchased a little over a week ago but i dont know how i feel about bothering that nice college girl that sold me this shiz...i think im just gonna wait a while then sell this. thanks for all the input.

Hmm...you've opened it, so that means you'll take the $150 hit. However, if the girl told you it was a "brand new" one, then either she lied or whoever sold it to her lied. Either way, you shouldn't have to take the fall for someone else's error.

Twe Foju

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2007
Jakarta
the fastest way it to sell it as a 2nd ( im sure you still can get your money back ) and get a new 2.2 Mac Book Santa Rosa

not to mention, Penryn is coming out this Jan 2008 =)

m1ss1ontomars

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2006
No, you should definitely trade it in. You won't feel the difference now, but a few months from now you'll still have a top-of-the-line computer.

I received my MacBook as a prize in a competition the Sunday before the Tuesday that the Late 2006 MacBooks came out. I debated briefly whether the 10% restocking fee was worth the upgrade to the 64-bit Core 2 Duo. I decided against it because I didn't have any 64-bit software. Tiger wasn't 64-bit either, really. Now I'm regretting it, because Leopard came out sooner than I expected and Mathematica is faster on 64-bit machines. Simple double integrals can sometimes take longer than evaluating by hand, disappointingly enough.

Likewise, you may soon find the GMA950 to be insufficient compared to the X3100. Personally, the problem here is that I can't play Madden 08 for Mac, but I can play Madden 08 for Windows with Boot Camp. The GMA950 is apparently not good enough on Mac OS X but is good enough in Windows.

In conclusion, go upgrade your MacBook. You won't regret it.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Normally I'd say leave it alone, your machine is plenty fast and likely more capable than you'll need in a good long while. But you paid for it thinking it was the latest model, go take it back and get yourself a brand new one.

SLC

dewey decibel

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
For recording audio I don't think the upgrade will benefit you much. The extra memory will, but you can put 4GB in yours now (although it will only see 3.3).

But at the same time, if you have the opportunity to try and get a new one I say- why not?

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Why would someone sell a week old laptop if they could just return it and take a small %age (assuming they sold it for less then they could have gotten returning it) hit.

Anyways, take it back to Apple, they will swap it out for free. When the SR ones were released, they replaced my 1 month old (out of the 14 day period) macbook without any restocking fee or anything. Just find a nice manager. Its not going to make any difference for pro tools, and there is no such thing as 64mb vs 128mb. They both used shared (but different) graphics chipsets that borrow from system RAM.

enigma373

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
Doesnt look like i can return it to the original place of purchase. check this out. http://www.bookstore.ucsb.edu/computer/comp_refunds.html. also keep in mind that i bought it from a UCSB student second hand (still packaged with receipt tho). It's not likely that a non student can waltz in there and ask to return some **** they didnt buy there wouldnt you think?

enigma373

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
didnt notice the about thread. So this was purchased at the UCSB bookstore. Can i take it to any mac retailer or what....?

ivan1234

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2007
I think you should just keep it because for most people (i.e. me) there is no noticeable difference (i had a first generation mb, then upgraded to a 17'' mbp, and now i have a SR mb) but I don't run any cpu/graphics intensive apps.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I think you should just keep it because for most people (i.e. me) there is no noticeable difference (i had a first generation mb, then upgraded to a 17'' mbp, and now i have a SR mb) but I don't run any cpu/graphics intensive apps.

I disagree entirely. The college student he spoke with told him it was a brand new machine. It clearly isn't if the CPU is 2.16. I say he takes it back to the "nice" girl and get his money back.

As far as I see it, there are two possibilities:

1. She intentionally sold the OP a previous gen notebook to make more money, or

2. She is ignorant and bought a previous gen notebook thinking it is a current gen, in which case she doesn't deserve as much money as the OP gave her.

sowillo14

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
I disagree entirely. The college student he spoke with told him it was a brand new machine. It clearly isn't if the CPU is 2.16. I say he takes it back to the "nice" girl and get his money back.

As far as I see it, there are two possibilities:

1. She intentionally sold the OP a previous gen notebook to make more money, or

2. She is ignorant and bought a previous gen notebook thinking it is a current gen, in which case she doesn't deserve as much money as the OP gave her.

I say #2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.