Just bought but...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Procomp, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Procomp macrumors newbie

dear forum members,
    I'm new with Mac experience,
    I just bought a mbp yesterday and I hear about a rumor that soon apple release a new line of mbp, have I do mistake for buying its?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Many rumors have floated around but Apple is waiting for the the Skylake processor from Intel, so far there is no date on the 47 watt skylake CPU, so you're in good shape. I don't think we'll see anything in 2015.

3. Procomp thread starter macrumors newbie

If it going to be on jan 16 I screwed up because I invested al my money on this I could not pay for another one

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Since Intel has yet to release a roadmap for the skylake 47 watt CPU, we have no idea of the date as I mentioned, I'm pretty sure we'll not see anything in 2015 and I think January is a bit early as well but that's just my guess.

If you're unsure, you're willing to hold on to the MBP, take it back. If it were me, I'd enjoy the laptop

5. Procomp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank u so much,
    Can u give me some tips for the new user

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You didn't screw up, it is unlikely to be before feb and more likely march/april. The skylake processors are slightly better but really not enough to worry about, unless you are planning to use a 5K external screen with your laptop they will make little difference to you. Having a top of the range new spanking computer for the next 6 months that does everything you need fast and easily will far outweigh the as yet unknown and minor benefits you'll get with skylake in 6 months time.

7. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

If you didn't need the laptop until January 16th then why did you buy one now?
    There is always an update "around the corner", so buy one when you really need it (or when you really really want it and are willing to live with the consequences like I do!)

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The tick tock design virtually guarantees that we'll not see huge increases in performance.

OP, start using the computer and if you have any specific questions come here and search (the odds of someone else having a similar question is high), failing that, then ask in a new thread.

9. Procomp thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it because I start learning law's in October, and I live in Israel its cost like 2,000$ for the 128Gb 13", luckily a friend come to my country at the end of the month so this is why I bought it yesterday.. If I could I was waiting but it's not worth the Israel price...

10. chipchen macrumors 6502

My rule of thumb is that you buy a computer when you have to buy it. It's irrelevant what's coming out soon because the few months you have the computer now until the release will give you that much more value.

Now if you buy it just because, and you didn't really need it, and then a new one is released... that's on you.

11. Sully macrumors regular

Sully

Isn't Skylake supposed to be the "Tick" part of the cycle?

p.s. Skylake speeds were published somewhere on this site. They're faster, but for most not noticeably faster.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, but given that new CPUs are released annually, the speed difference is minor, regardless if its on the tick or tock

13. Sully macrumors regular

Sully

Except in the case of these Haswell CPU's in the 15 in. right? That's why some of us decided to wait. The CPU is from 2012.

The funny thing is, for me it's simply a spec. In reality, the current 15 in would have been fine for years to come.

14. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

No your new prized toy is fine. Don't worry about next generation rMBP.