Just bought Dell 2407WFP-HC and LOVE it!! Sorry, Apple.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 9Charms, Feb 7, 2008.

1. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

I just thought I'd make this post to share my experiences for all you deciding on which monitor to buy.

I looked at the 23" ACD and it was really nice. I liked the design and it matched my new Mac Pro, but when I saw the Dell 2407WFP-HC display at a mall, that was it! I had to get that one.

I have to say it's really really really nice. I can't believe Apple doesn't offer anything comparable in this price range and with this feature set.

It has a built in 4-port USB hub, memory card reader, component inputs, and is height adjustable! It has many more features, but those are the ones I care about.

Plus it doesn't look half bad and it's $400 less than the Apple.

After this purchase, I have to say that Apple is really falling behind in the monitor segment.

2. boku no koto macrumors newbie

The dell uses a PVA panel, which are cheaper than the IPS panels used in the Cinema Displays. They could use an update, but there is no way to really compare the two as they target different needs.

3. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

as far as I was aware, both the Dell and the ACD are computer monitors so do they "target different needs"...a monitor is a monitor

4. boku no koto macrumors newbie

Your statement speaks bounds to your knowledge. I hope you enjoy your ignorance, if not, go do some research on displays. Then maybe come back and edit this statement. If "a monitor is a monitor," then please tell me what differentiates a high end brand from a low end one. And by your logic, we would just as well say, both the Dell and Apple are computers so you should be just fine with a Dell, since it is cheaper of course.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

6. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Look at the post count of the two new members and note the tone of both. Seems to be the same person with two different accounts. Sounds a lot like a member that just got banned. Reported.

7. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

The Dells monitors are quite sexy. I think they are the best overall factoring in affordability, quality, size, and function.

8. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

FWIW, Dell Monitors as very good, and in comparison Apple's are an expensive, poorer alternative.

Apple's do look pretty though. ;)

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I think it's the other way around, and rather typical here of the 'panel junkies'. You actually know even less than the people who don't know about the differences, because all you do is to look at specs and conjecture.

I use both along with (S-PVA) Eizo's, and frankly the Dell/Apple are pretty much interchangeable in terms of single-person viewing angles, colour and general image quality. Calibration is trickier in the 2407wfp-hc but the ultimate results are pretty much the same.

Personally, lookswise I prefer the ACD. The Dell is uglier - but then do you look at the bezel/stand all day? I think not. The Dell is better featured, more ergonomic, features comparable image quality, and is more versatile.

I'm waiting for what they have to offer with the 2408 before buying more monitors. If they take after the 2707 design, the monitors should be more stylistically comparable with Apple while retaining superior ergonomics.