just bought external drive, time machine questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bigjnyc, May 1, 2008.

1. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

so i just bought a WD passport external hard drive to use with time machine, its a 250GB which matches the HDD on my macbook. so the main purpose is to use time machine and back up all my files my questions are:

- if i have everything backed up via time machine can i take my drive with me and see my files on a different computer? for example i just want to see a picture on a friends computer or something.

- What do i have to do when i first connect the hard drive? the manual says its formatted to FAT32 (i'm at work and havent gotten home to test it out) do i have to run disk utility to erase and reformat it? will my mac pick up the drive right away?

- and finally alot of my friends still have windows, if i am able to see my files on another computer can it be a PC?

2. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

The first time you connect it to the Mac, leopard will ask if it to be used by TM. If you answer yes, Leopard puts the files on the disk that TM needs.

I know the files are not encrypted :( so you would likely be able to access them on another mac or even a PC.

3. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 603

bigjnyc

cool thanks.

one more question, can i password protect the drive with filevault? and if i do will that affect the ability for time machine to run and back up to it.