just bought first iphone! used 2G...have questions

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by unknown00, Nov 17, 2009.

1. unknown00 macrumors member

so yea topic says it all...here are couple questions i have...

1. it is too quiet. speaker is fine but when i have it towards my ear its really quiet and its at max. i mean i can still hear and understand everything but i doubt i will be able to with noise. i asked couple mac fanboys of mine and they said its normal to them too. is it?

2. the home button works fine and actually works (i have couple friends where you have to like push push for it to work). only problem is...it's kinda...loose? its not falling out or anyhing but when i move my finger right/left/up/down it wiggles...?

3. i'm running a 2G with 2.2.1. i just unlocked/jailbroken it...should i upgrade to 3.* ? if so, how can i assure it will still be unlocked/jailbroken?

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

1. I recall there is a JB app that allows you to turn up the sound.
    2. Hardware issue, not much you can do there.

Apple doesn't care about 2G anymore, and you will remain jailbroken and unlocked.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

take it too a Apple

just make a appointment and ask them too look at it, no it won't be under warrenty but they can tell you if it's up to specs! little hard for us to say with out seeing it! and it would be a opinion only.

4. unknown00 thread starter macrumors member

1. have a link to that app?

2. yea i plan to buy a case soon so maybe the case will be big/thick enough so i won't notice it. but anyone else experiencing this?

3. how should i go about upgrading to 3.* then? itunes?

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    1. It's in cydia under tweaks *I think*.

3. Just upgrade in iTunes and then use blackra1n, or use pwnage tool to update your phone.

6. unknown00 thread starter macrumors member

can someone help me with #3? i want to upgrade to 3.1.2 but don't know how can't find any legit tuts either...

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Did you even TRY to search for a tutorial?

Here is one for blackra1n.
    Here is one for Pwnage Tool.

8. unknown00 thread starter macrumors member

they don't say how to unlock only jailbreak, how about the blacksn0w?

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Unlock with pwnage tool you just download "ultrasn0w" from cydia. If you are using blackra1n, then use blacksn0w.

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

No, he has a 2G iPhone. He needs to download BootNeuter from Cydia to unlock. Alternatively, he can upgrade to 3.0 and use redsn0w to jailbreak and unlock.

11. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Oh yeah, I knew that. That's what I get for paying attention. :p

12. unknown00 thread starter macrumors member

is it worth upgrading to 3.1.2? was reading something about performance slacking due to all the upgrades...is it worth it for the 2G?

13. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Might as well do 3.1.2. I'm still at 3.1 myself, because I see no reason to update. But if you are going to 3.0 for first time you should just do the newest one.

14. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

For the 1st gen, yes, the speaker is a tad quieter than the 3G and 3GS. The home button wiggles sometimes. My iPod touch is 3 years old and its home button wiggles too. My iPhone 2G ,3G and 3GS don't though. Probably I because I "baby" them. :eek: For JBing, I would just recommend you to download 3.** . However, your iPhone 2G may work slower and not as fast.

15. MacTo737 macrumors newbie

I was in the same boat. I bought a coworker's 2G 16GB iPhone. It still had 2.2.1 installed. My buddy JB and Unlock using Pwnage tool and now has 3.1.2. The phone works great, no problems at all. Tested with my ATT sim and his T-mobile sim, works like a charm. Good luck.

16. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

If you're on Windows, the RedSn0w unlock seems like the easy route, so maybe it's best to start by updating to 3.0.1 and using that.

If you go to 3.1.2 then you'll have to run Bootneuter, and that is not without risks.

If you have a Mac then you can use Pwnage to build a custom unlocked 3.1.2 and install that, which is also easy.