just bought first iphone! used 2G...have questions

unknown00

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
so yea topic says it all...here are couple questions i have...

1. it is too quiet. speaker is fine but when i have it towards my ear its really quiet and its at max. i mean i can still hear and understand everything but i doubt i will be able to with noise. i asked couple mac fanboys of mine and they said its normal to them too. is it?

2. the home button works fine and actually works (i have couple friends where you have to like push push for it to work). only problem is...it's kinda...loose? its not falling out or anyhing but when i move my finger right/left/up/down it wiggles...?

3. i'm running a 2G with 2.2.1. i just unlocked/jailbroken it...should i upgrade to 3.* ? if so, how can i assure it will still be unlocked/jailbroken?

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
1. I recall there is a JB app that allows you to turn up the sound.
2. Hardware issue, not much you can do there.

Apple doesn't care about 2G anymore, and you will remain jailbroken and unlocked.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
take it too a Apple

just make a appointment and ask them too look at it, no it won't be under warrenty but they can tell you if it's up to specs! little hard for us to say with out seeing it! and it would be a opinion only.

unknown00

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
1. have a link to that app?

2. yea i plan to buy a case soon so maybe the case will be big/thick enough so i won't notice it. but anyone else experiencing this?

3. how should i go about upgrading to 3.* then? itunes?

unknown00

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
can someone help me with #3? i want to upgrade to 3.1.2 but don't know how can't find any legit tuts either...

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Unlock with pwnage tool you just download "ultrasn0w" from cydia. If you are using blackra1n, then use blacksn0w.
No, he has a 2G iPhone. He needs to download BootNeuter from Cydia to unlock. Alternatively, he can upgrade to 3.0 and use redsn0w to jailbreak and unlock.

unknown00

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2009
is it worth upgrading to 3.1.2? was reading something about performance slacking due to all the upgrades...is it worth it for the 2G?

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
so yea topic says it all...here are couple questions i have...

1. it is too quiet. speaker is fine but when i have it towards my ear its really quiet and its at max. i mean i can still hear and understand everything but i doubt i will be able to with noise. i asked couple mac fanboys of mine and they said its normal to them too. is it?

2. the home button works fine and actually works (i have couple friends where you have to like push push for it to work). only problem is...it's kinda...loose? its not falling out or anyhing but when i move my finger right/left/up/down it wiggles...?

3. i'm running a 2G with 2.2.1. i just unlocked/jailbroken it...should i upgrade to 3.* ? if so, how can i assure it will still be unlocked/jailbroken?
For the 1st gen, yes, the speaker is a tad quieter than the 3G and 3GS. The home button wiggles sometimes. My iPod touch is 3 years old and its home button wiggles too. My iPhone 2G ,3G and 3GS don't though. Probably I because I "baby" them. :eek: For JBing, I would just recommend you to download 3.** . However, your iPhone 2G may work slower and not as fast.

MacTo737

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2008
I was in the same boat. I bought a coworker's 2G 16GB iPhone. It still had 2.2.1 installed. My buddy JB and Unlock using Pwnage tool and now has 3.1.2. The phone works great, no problems at all. Tested with my ATT sim and his T-mobile sim, works like a charm. Good luck.

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
is it worth upgrading to 3.1.2? was reading something about performance slacking due to all the upgrades...is it worth it for the 2G?
If you're on Windows, the RedSn0w unlock seems like the easy route, so maybe it's best to start by updating to 3.0.1 and using that.

If you go to 3.1.2 then you'll have to run Bootneuter, and that is not without risks.

If you have a Mac then you can use Pwnage to build a custom unlocked 3.1.2 and install that, which is also easy.