Just bought Imac 27 with radeon 6970 1gb need advice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wes911, Sep 26, 2012.

  1. wes911 macrumors newbie

    Sep 26, 2012
    I like to game quite a few... and im wondering If I should return it to get the 2gb version of the video card.

    Is it worth the trouble? will I see a difference for 100 more bucks? I play guildwars 2 right now

    Need your advice on this

  2. leadfeather89 macrumors member

    May 30, 2012
  3. VPrime macrumors 68000


    Dec 19, 2008
    London Ontario
    I have both the 1gb and. 2gb side by side.

    In counter strike source, Diablo 3, counter strike global offensive, Battlefield 3 and some other games I don't remember there are no differences or enough worth mentioning.

    Most games don't need 2gb of video memory... The few that do are bottlenecked by other parts of the computer.. Future games which need 2gb of memory again will be bottlenecked by other parts so you will have to drop the graphic settings any ways.

    I would save the money and go with 1gb if gaming is all you need the video card for.
  4. Kroozin macrumors newbie

    Apr 8, 2011
    Wait a while...

    My recommendation is to get the 2GB video card, but also wait until late Oct. I'm opting to "roll the dice" and hope that Apple comes out with an Ivy Bridge processor with faster RAM, USB 3.0 and maybe a better screen (probably not retinal display?) sometime in October as so many swarming rumors have suggested. I understand it's speculation but I decided to wait another month - just in case. I'm sure they're going to implement the new processor in the iMac at some time in the near future!
  5. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816


    Jun 6, 2010
    Colorado, USA
    My advice as well...
  6. wes911 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Sep 26, 2012
    Im wondering too about if the 2gb is really that important.. I maybe better invest and upgrade to 8g of ram..

    I cant really "wait" this is a gift.. people are attracted by the number but does it really mean anything? I ran 3d mark via bootcamp and got 2950 gpu score.. which is more then whats showing in the laptopvideobenchmark website...
  7. zosobao5150 macrumors member

    Jul 7, 2010
    Central Ohio
    Yeah, wait for the rectum display.

  8. wes911 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Sep 26, 2012
    I think ill return the unit then... sound like ill wait for the new model :(
  9. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

    Feb 28, 2012
    Bear in mind that no-one here knows anything about future releases of iMac. Any advice on contents and release dates are based purely on speculation. With release date estimates varying from 'next Tuesday' to 'sometime next year' to 'never', I'd hate for you to return your box and be stuck in limbo, especially if it's a gift.

Share This Page