Just bought iMac. Now what!???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by justASK, Sep 28, 2008.

1. justASK macrumors newbie

I placed an order yesterday for a 24" iMac, and now have to painfully wait about a week for it to arrive...

Please can you post suggestions that will help the time go faster and also anything I can do to prepare myself for the change from PC to Mac?

Thanks in advance.
    :)
    ...Hmm, maybe I will freeze myself and thaw out in just over a week...

2. johto macrumors 6502

johto

http://www.apple.com/ilife/tutorials/ <-- check these video tutorials if you havent yet :cool:

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Welcome to Mac ownership and welcome to MacRumors:Forums! You'll find a lot of information both here and on the web. Here are a few resources that may be helpful:

Mac 101 a tour of the Mac OS X
    Switch 101 a tutorial on the process of migrating to a Mac
    Apple Support search Apple Support and the Knowledge Base
    MRoogle for searching the forums with Google (always a good idea before posting new questions)
    How to set up a quick right-click search of the MR forums.
    MacRumors FAQ
    MacRumors Rules
    MacRumors Guides Very helpful stuff!
    A list of the MR Forums (so you'll know which forum is best to post a new question)
    Maximizing your MacRumors troubleshooting experience. (if you really need help, this is valuable to know!)
    Apple Find Out How
    Apple Keyboard Shortcuts
    You can find lists of essential applications here and here and here.....and here.

If you search the forums and don't find what you're looking for, just ask! There's lots of friendly help here! Enjoy your new Mac!

4. Wayne s macrumors regular

I would use the week of waiting to do some extra exercise to lose a few pounds (not that I am saying you are over weight) because when your Mac arrives you will, if you are like me, be spending more time sitting down, not wanting to turn it off, and doing little else for a few weeks.

Had my iMac for nearly a year now,best thing I ever purchased, enjoy.

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Head over to a mac store and just get yourself aquatinted some more over there.

6. Desamell Guest

Buy a external hard drive and copy all your files from your PC over to it so you can put it onto your Mac.

7. snowmaan macrumors regular

justASK

Mate, that's the funniest thing I read
    This morning I and a colleague from work, both ordered the 24" iMac with 4gb ram, wireless kb and mouse and a 500gb HDD

We now have to wait a week, and I am finding it hard to concentrate I must say

I have done the following, all since this morning: :cool:
    - Bought it
    - Convinced myself it was a great idea
    - Discovered I paid $2,500 for my PC 14 months ago, and will get about $300 on ebay for it now
    - Viewed all the apple.com.au site video tutorials
    - Halfway through copying all my data onto a usb HDD and deleting all the rubbish
    - Deleting things that say things like "PC drivers, setup files, fixes, patches, etc, etc"
    - Just joined this forum as I am looking for a good knowledge source and share ideas etc
    - We went to the apple store in Sydney, and spoke to about 4 people for about 2 hours
    - Enrolled for a workshop
    - Told the wife reason number 346 why buying an iMac is a great idea
    - Reminded her that yes, the deal where she gets new floorboards for the house still stands

:)

Great thread here too, it is a serious question.
    I have been a PC man for so many long years, that I finally came through and got converted, I can't wai, and really want to learn 10x what I know now, so that when I finally get it, I get the most out of it immediately, instead of having to figure basic things out

Keep the comments and suggestions coming everyone, I'm sure many who dont post, read what comes up here.

8. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Nice to see new "souls" switching to the better side every day :)
    Its so refreshing getting rid off those old legacy junk from the PC side.
    I'v used over 15 years mainly Windows and Linux and now had my iMac for 6 months...this has been the best OS experience i'v every experienced. Cool thing it also contains the hardcore unix side if needed..i'v been very happy camper. OS X is the best OS by far! :cool: