just bought iMac quick question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DoN7B1ink, May 13, 2012.

1. DoN7B1ink macrumors newbie

Just bought a iMac 21.5 may sound like a silly question but does it come with the os cd? can't find any cds at all, this is first time i used mac as I've always used windows, any must have apps?

2. meowtown macrumors newbie

RETURN IT! RETURN IT NOW! a new iMac will be released imminently, and it's going to be packing a lot more power for the same price as the iMac you just bought. if that doesn't appeal to you, don't return it... but you should research things before you buy them. it's smart in any scenario. the current Mac operating system is OSX Lion which is not distributed physically, only digitally though the mac app store.

in any case, welcome to the Mac world!

3. MR.BUTTON macrumors member

I don't know how's the packaging nowadays,but it did include an os cd years earlier.seems like apple have exclude it. Must have apps?i recommend Microsoft office for windows users like you, but iWork apps are also great! if you have to manage photos and edit them, use iPhoto or aperture. iMovie is enough for video editing. GarageBand is also fun to use. You can discover many apps st the Mac app store.

Congrats! Welcome to the Mac world! Once you go apple you may never go back!

4. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

You have two weeks from the date of delivery to take it back if you choose to do so. The return was hassle free -- just pit it back in the box and drive to the Apple store. We don't have a set date or when a refresh might occur. My opinion is it will happen this Tuesday or during WWDC.

I added MS Office and am currently looking at iBank. I will add Aperture once v4 is released.

5. simsaladimbamba

6. DoN7B1ink thread starter macrumors newbie

I seen a guide on YouTube on how to install windows using boot camp but says I need the Mac cd of the CD is now on the recovery drive will I still be able to install windows? I've partioned my drive but could only partition it to fat32 there was no option for ntfs

7. simsaladimbamba

You use Boot Camp Assistant to create a Windows partition, download the Windows drivers and start the setup.
    Then during the actual Windows installation you can format the partition using NTFS.

Booting Windows on the Mac

8. DoN7B1ink thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanx

9. DeF46 macrumors regular

Too many recommendations.

How about a Pocket Guide from O'REILLY? A little paper book that you can actually read from start to end, that gives you a nice overview of the OS you're using.

10. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

If you want a partition that can be easily read by OS X and Windows, try ExFAT rather than FAT32 as it doesn't have the size restrictions FAT32 does. It is now one of the standard formatting options.

11. DeF46 macrumors regular

I use it. Please note that you may have to install drivers in Windows XP, and the nasty bugger doesn't actually tell you anything about it. I'm such a dunce last time I was at friend's place with my iomega and it didn't even occur to me to look it up :)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19364

EDIT: ROFLOL, I also forgot that no one uses Windows XP anymore :p I cant' be bothered to install Windows 7 on a 2010 MBP W_W

12. Whargoul macrumors member

13. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Why are so many people telling the OP to return the iMac?..At this point, no next-gen iMac has been announced and you can continue waiting for new tech year after year, it will always be outdated almost immediately after purchase.

OP, enjoy your new iMac and welcome to the Mac side of life :) As far as "must-have apps", I recommend iWork as a great transition from Microsoft Office. Otherwise, if you're like me you'll find that most of the preinstalled programs are exactly what I need. No real necessity for third party content. It's the beauty of Apple.

14. Nandifix macrumors 6502

People are only recommending the return of the iMac as in around 3 weeks you will be able to get higher specs for the same price. Most people can wait the extra time...

15. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

Yes you can wait year after year but in reality it's not going to be that long and you know it. You're just trying to make a point everyone else has already made when, after today, it has been made totally irrelevant.

People can survive with slightly outdated technology, but these guys are just trying to warn the OP that there is an opportunity to get a better deal on the horizon - there's nothing wrong with that.

16. Whargoul macrumors member

Correct. If it were 3-6 months out it would be stupid. But a new iMac is 1 day to 3 weeks out. To buy one now unless you absolutely need it would be literally throwing money in the trash.