Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urfankhaliq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Hi guys,

as some of you may know from a previous thread I posted about case and JB that I have just got myself an iPad last weekend. its great and I love it etc etc..

However I now have read in a couple of places (including Macrumors) that the iPad 2 is expected in Feb and this will have facetime (which would be very usefull for me) and retina display etc...

I have up untill 8th Jan to return this as Apple extended their return dates due to xmas. I bought this from the Apple shop in the UK.

Firstly I was wondering if anyone knows whether Apple would take this back even though its been opened and used etc (obviously its still in perfect condition and I have the box and accessories etc)...I havnt even opened the charger and USB cable as I am using my iphone charger...

Secondaly whats the chances of the iPad 2 coming out in Feb?

Thanks in advance.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
The rumors are the iPad 2 will start manufacturing at the end of February, which will mean a release at the end of March / early April at the earliest. Release in the UK may also be held up as it was with the first iPad

There's absolutely no guarantee what the specs will be - FaceTime has been heavily rumored but only because it seems logical to add it to the iPad: Apple haven't confirmed it will have it or not (or any of the other rumored improvements).

I don't know if Apple will accept returns or not with it being opened, but personally I would just enjoy your iPad now and sell it when iPad 2 comes out if you want the new one.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
No one knows if a new one will come out. I'd check the buyer's guide.

urfankhaliq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
No buyers guide yet

No one knows if a new one will come out. I'd check the buyer's guide.

There is no buyers guide yet as this is the first iPad so there is no average to go by...

Edit: darngooddesign you beat me to it lol

akkkmed

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
I'm sort of in the same boat, OP.
I read about the extended return period before I got mine. I purchased it on November 26th, Black Friday. My receipt says that my return date is only December 10th, not the extended time period for Christmas.

Does anyone know if I can still return it during the extended time even though my receipt says December 10th? (I know that I can just call and ask, but I thought I'd ask first since I can't call this second.)
Thanks.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Holiday Return Policy

Items purchased at an Apple Retail Store between October 30, 2010, and December 25, 2010, may be returned with an original receipt or Gift Receipt through January 8, 2011. If the item is returned in the original box, unopened, with the original packaging, we will exchange it or offer you an Apple Gift Card. Refunds will be granted through January 8, 2011 only when an original purchase receipt is provided and will be based solely on the original method of payment.

This holiday return policy does not apply to iPhone or wireless service contracts. All other Apple Retail Store purchase policies apply and your statutory rights are not affected.
http://www.apple.com/legal/sales_policies/retail_us.html

mrl72

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
I'm in the same boat and am holding out until Jan 8th (return date) for any news or leaks on the new version.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Congratulations on falling for the Christmas season/Black Friday buying hype. There is a reason it is called "Black" Friday, you know. Apple loves customers like you guys - you're what makes them so successful.

Did you really not know a new one was coming in a few months? Really?

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
There are going to be many, many more threads like this one. Whenever you purchase technology, you should always find out when the current model was released. I'd say at the *least* the new iPad will have more RAM and facetime cameras. The additional RAM alone will make it worthwhile to wait. It took awhile for developers to hit their stride in creating new applications for the iPad. The newer apps which will be released after the next iPad model will likely run much smoother on the new version and will have features that utilize new hardware not available on iPad 1.

In other words, return it now. When the new iPad is released there will be a glut of old iPads on the market which will drive down prices if you want to resell it.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Rumors are rumors... You could just keep it to play around with for 2-3 months and then sell it to buy the new one when the rumors are "final."

iBought

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Do you plan to buy a new ipad every year they make a new one? I personally do not. I just don't see the point because all apple products work great for years. I have had the same iPod for 4 years, know people who are quite happy with their 07 macbookpros...etc. Yes, there will be new features, but until they stop updating the one i have, i will be quite happy. The ipad strikes me as a bi annual purchase, but maybe i am wrong.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
My money is on sometime in April (release) and for sure NO retina Display, it have been cover before, it is not possible at the price point. (better resolution screen, yes, retina resolution NO)

vini-vidi-vici

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
and then...

I hear they're already working on iPad3 - the horror!!!! It's probably best to never buy anything, because as soon as you do, you'll be behind the curve. sheesh.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Are you serious about retina display? For the 1000000000000th times, iPad 2 is not getting retina display. Rumor suggests that apple is going OLED! HAHA. Enjoy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.