Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
After Apple slightly increased trade in value for the 13PM, and after seeing Dynamic Island in action on some friends phones, I bought it. Got the gold color (first gold phone for me since 6S)

1) I actually like always on screen - I have the wallpaper up, but the widgets remind me of the Apple Watch, which will come in handy when I’m wearing a mechanical watch

2) Dynamic island is fine

3) Brighter screen is noticeable

4) Same (heavy) feel as 13PM

I don’t know how long I will keep this phone (15 seems like a major upgrade), but I’m liking the late cycle refresh

I toyed around with getting a yellow 14 plus, but I need the zoom camera and promotion

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
What did you like about the dynamic island? To be honest in my day to day use I hardly see much use of it at this point. It’s something to look at for the first couple of days and try to figure out it’s usage in your daily life and then you figure it’s not really adding much value and settle with it.

Reactions: d.o.p.

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
What did you like about the dynamic island? To be honest in my day to day use I hardly see much use of it at this point. It’s something to look at for the first couple of days and try to figure out it’s usage in your daily life and then you figure it’s not really adding much value and settle with it.
I have the same opinion after getting my Pro Max on Monday.
It’s just the notch, but different 🤷‍♂️

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I felt the same way. Actually just sold my 14 pro and got a 13 pro sierra blue and I’m happy with it. Battery life seems so much stable and realizing I don’t even notice much a of a difference with the 14 pro.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I felt the same way. Actually just sold my 14 pro and got a 13 pro sierra blue and I’m happy with it. Battery life seems so much stable and realizing I don’t even notice much a of a difference with the 14 pro.

I hope you didn’t lose money in that exchange.

maxrest

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2021
I’m not OP but I really like it for timers and sports scores. I utilize both pretty frequently so it’s super convenient having those visible at all times when using my phone. I feel like more can be done with it though so I’m really hoping iOS 17 brings more native functionality to it since it seems like it’s going to all the 15 models.

Reactions: Carlsberg69

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I like the dynamic island on my 14PM. I’ve read where people get rid of the 14 pro /max and buy the 13 pro instead, odd but ok. The main purpose to buy the 14 pro is for the camera. Everything else is the same. Yes the display is a little better, as is the processor, but the main reason to buy the pro model is for the camera. It’s designed for photographers and videographers. If you’re not one of those, then you probably dot need the pro model unless you give in to peer pressure. The 14 plus should be more than adequate if you rarely take photos & videos.

257Loner

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2022
Does the always-on display stay on when the iPhone is laid down on a nightstand and left there overnight?

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
Does the always-on display stay on when the iPhone is laid down on a nightstand and left there overnight?
It depends. If the phone is face down it will turn off. Otherwise it may or may not.

It tries to figure out your schedule and turn off while it thinks you are sleeping and the room is dark. However if the phone is used during the night, in my experience the always on display may not turn back off again.

My solution was to (finally) set up a sleep focus, and the display will stay off while the sleep focus is on.

Reactions: 257Loner

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
After Apple slightly increased trade in value for the 13PM, and after seeing Dynamic Island in action on some friends phones, I bought it.
How much did Apple give you for your 13 Pro Max? The maximum they give you in the UK is £580 and that is probably the highest storage tier. I’ve never seen a viable option for trade-in here and always sold private.
bc020bc4dc0c2c393e5cb3b37683d71b.jpg

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I gave my 13 Pro to my daughter and got the 14 Pro Max about 2 weeks ago. It definitely feels like a refinement of the 11 Pro to 13 Pro. I like the Dynamic Island and the AOD. I wish it had the rounded edges of the 11 Pro. I am liking the bigger screen (but not the additional weight), but if I had had a 13 Pro Max it would be a relatively small update. I don’t usually change my phone after only one year, so I was expecting only an incremental improvement.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
How much did Apple give you for your 13 Pro Max? The maximum they give you in the UK is £580 and that is probably the highest storage tier. I’ve never seen a viable option for trade-in here and always sold private.
bc020bc4dc0c2c393e5cb3b37683d71b.jpg

There never is outside of the USA. Although selling in public seems to be too much of a headache for me personally, that’s why I always just end up with either keeping the devices for longer periods if I’ve already used them for 2 years or more myself. On the other hand I just go with the trade in with Apple because it’s easy and straightforward.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.