Just bought iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aeaglex07, Jun 4, 2009.

1. aeaglex07 macrumors 6502

aeaglex07

I bought an iphone 3G on May 29 2009, Like an idiot, not realizing there will be a new one. I have a question, could i return it for and exchange/refund and purchase the new one when it comes out?
    I tried calling AT&T and sat on hold for 35 mins. with no answer. Anyone with a similar situation/advice?
    In another forum they were stating that last year AT&T allowed an upgrade at no charge for those who purchased 1st Gen iphone after may 27 or 28. http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/apple-iphone/74728-get-iphone-3g-now-wait-new.html

Im happy with my phone but would love to upgrade if possible.
    Thanks in Advance.

2. kisbys macrumors regular

I don't know in US but know in england they have to give you 2 weeks to allow you to cancell

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I would go back to the store you bought it from and talk to them about returning it. When the new one comes out you won't be able to get it without paying full price. The reason it was different for upgrading from the 1st iPhone to the 3G is because the 1st iPhone was not subsidized.

4. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Take the phone back within 2 weeks and say your not satisfied with it and have your old phone put back in service. When the new one comes out go get it.

5. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

at+t has a 30 day return policy. That should applicable to iphone

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

you have 30 days to cancel/return so I'd do that ASAP. While WWDC is next week, the projected availability of the phone is July which puts you well out of the 30 day window. Besides, there's no way to guarantee that you'd be able to upgrade to the new phone when it comes out either.

7. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Yeah ... if you're into the idea of having the new iPhone, take the 3G back and wait it out.

If, however, the 3G suits your needs (it isn't too shabby a phone, after all), you could always just keep it. It's still better than almost every phone out there, IMO.

8. Razeus macrumors 601

I've been waiting a LONG time to get the 3rd gen iPhone, up from my first Gen. I can't wait to get 3G speeds. I can't wait to see what they have in store for the hardware. I sure as hell can't wait for iPhone 3.0 OS. I hope the 32GB model is $299 or less, if not I'll get the 16GB.

9. aeaglex07 thread starter macrumors 6502

aeaglex07

Thanks for the advice. I think im going to go to the store and ask them about it. I like the 3G but i would hate to see a better phone on the market and be stuck with this one because I couldnt just wait it out. LOL. I may end up returning it and waiting for the new one.

THanks guys

10. Versus macrumors member

I've been lurking here for the last 10 days and had planned on keeping it that way as I honestly couldn't see myself bringing much to the conversation, but your thread gave me a proper nudge.

Anyway, I too am an idiot. I purchased the 3G on 5-30-09 on a complete whim. I've never owned any kind of "smart phone" in the past, and quite frankly didn't really need one now. In fact, I'd say it's safe to say all of my previous cell phones couldn't be catagorized as anything but dumb. It appears they mirror their owner.

Anyway, I Googled "new iphone" just hours after bringing it home (probably should have done that first, huh?) and to my surprise (actually, with my horrible luck I expected as much) I learned that there was a great possibilty that my first venture into this world would be "outdated" in less than a month.

Always the paranoid one, I was quite thorough in my inquiry concerning the return policy before even signing the contract. Basically, if you haven't already found out on your own, it is true that you have 30 days to return the phone. Had you returned it in less than 3 days, you could have made a clean break. As it stands, if you choose to take it back within the 30 days period, you will be 100% free of contractual obligations. However, you will be responsible for the $38 activation fee and a 10% restocking fee on the phone itself.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/return-policy.jsp

As I said, I knew of the possibilty of new hardware before the 3 days were up, but I decided to let it roll for a week or two. I'd rather pay $38 and see if I even like/need a phone like this before I go through the trouble of returning it, getting the new phone, then finding out it's not for me.

I never cancelled my previous phone as I was still on the fence to begin with. I just don't take the iphone out the house so as not to get it scratched up or deemed "unreturnable". I figure come 6/8 after the announcement (or no announcement) I'll make up my mind then.

Hope that helped.

11. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

The people at the AT&T you're going to are salespeople, so there's a chance they will say whatever it takes to get you to keep the current iPhone. They may even say that you can upgrade without a problem when the new one comes out. The thing is, they won't remember you come that time you want to upgrade.

I never trust someone with telling me straight and honest when they're paycheck is affected. I once worked for AT&T, I saw and heard some "dirty" stuff from the salespeople.

12. Starrynite4 macrumors newbie

The same happened to me too. I just bought my iphone 3g last week and now i find out that a new one is coming out. I was a little paranoid that a new one would come out, but NO, I had to just get it asap b/c my previous phone had water damage an practically died.

I just emailed ATT to see if I am still eligible to get the new iphone at the lower price. I probably can, but after this, I am extremely paranoid.