Just bought iPhone 3GS from Walmart, how do I upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmwtech113, Jun 10, 2010.

1. bmwtech113 macrumors member

I just bought an iPhone 3GS from walmart on june 5th so I could get the unlimited data plan. I would like to return the 3GS for the iPhone 4 but I have not found any good sources saying that walmart will carry the iphone 4 on launch day. At&t isnt very helpful either as they say I have to return the phone, cancel my plan and loose my number, and go to the at&t store and create a new account if walmart doesnt sell the iphone 4. Does anyone know of any options I have to get the iPhone 4 and keep my current number?

2. Dark K macrumors member

There must be a way, I am on the same boat as you, bought a 3GS as an upgrade to my 2-year contract on Radioshack on May 27, and I am planning on returning it June 15 to start preordering the iPhone 4, apparently the Shack has made it's job to cancel but keep my number, they told me that it would look like as if I had never gotten the 3GS, and reseting my upgrade.

But yeah, I think that there's a possibility that the new iPhone will be available on Walmart at launch day, Apple is trying to get the phone out on the market as soon as possible.

3. trillville macrumors newbie

Just contact ATT directly, and they'll let you exchange it when iPhone 4 comes out. All you have to do is tell them that you want to exchange it on June 15th, and they will have one set aside for you on the 24th. One of my friends bought one from Walmart, and this is what he is doing. The coolest part is that he gets $199 worth of credit for the 16 gb 3gs instead of the $99 that he paid.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, like said above.
    You also have 30 days from the day of purchase to return it and get the new iphone instead.
    Keep all the boxes and everything you had when you got it.

5. bmwtech113 thread starter macrumors member

Sounds similar to my situation. The only thing is I just swapped from verizon to at&t so I dont have another phone to use until the iphone 4 comes out. I have talked to someone at an at&t store, emailed customer service, and spoke to someone from walmart and none of them know exactly what I should do unless walmart does have it on launch day. I assume they will since I believe they had the EVO 4g on launch. The at&t people say that if I had purchased the 3gs from an at&t store then there would be no problem.

6. bmwtech113 thread starter macrumors member

did your friend go to an at&t store or call at&t customer service? Does he have to return the 3gs to walmart or will at&t accept the return with a walmart receipt? The people I have spoken to said I would have to return my phone to walmart before I could do anything, and if walmart doesnt have the iphone 4, i would have to cancel my service and go to an at&t store to sign up on a new contract

7. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Just return to where you purchased the iPhone 3GS. You have until June 23 (pre-order window) to return and start the exchange and pre-order for the iPhone 4. You are still in your 30 day standard BRE window.

You will only have to pay the 10% restocking fee (well you used it 30 days). You will get to keep using your iPhone 3GS until the iPhone 4 arrives for the exchange. Yes, this covers Apple, BestBuy, and Walmart (Any AT&T Authorize Retailer).

If you decide to keep your iPhone 3GS, you will get a $50 credit on the price you paid for the 16 GB iPhone 3GS or $100 credit on the 32 GB iPhone 3GS.

If there is any confusion, just ask them to reference the June 7 Ops Brief - Dealer iPhone Pre-Launch, Price Protection, Closeout and Return Policy.

Dave

8. 3N16MA macrumors 65816

3N16MA

According to Appleinsider AT&T is offering this deal:

Alternatively, customers who purchased and iPhone 3G/3GS through an authorized dealer from May 7, 2010 until June 7, 2010 can also exchange their handset for an iPhone 4 and pay the price difference. Authorized AT&T dealers are instructed to "inform these customers that they can continue using their iPhone 3GS until iPhone 4 is available and they will be given a full refund for their iPhone 3GS less the 10% Restocking Fee (if applicable)."

9. bmwtech113 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the replies. Atleast I know there is a way to get the iphone 4 and keep my number