Just bought iPhone 4...have HUGE problem... need help.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chuch, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Chuch macrumors newbie

I bought a new iPphone 4 and plugged into into my mac and got the message, The iPhone "iPhone" cannot be used because it requires Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later. Im currently running 10.4.11 tiger. Is there some way around this or will i have to buy a whole new mac?

2. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

You can also sync with a PC running XP SP3, Vista or 7 if you have one, if not go leech off a friend.

3. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

Yep

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you need 10.6 and since it was never compiled for ppc, you need an intel machine

Is your mac intel or ppc? If intel, just buy SL for 30 bucks

5. draz macrumors 6502a

Yes you must have OSx 10.5.8.... Sadly

No way around it... yet

6. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Either upgrade your OS to the minimum version required, use a Windows machine with iTunes 9.2 or later, or buy a new Mac, yes.

7. Chuch thread starter macrumors newbie

Dang, that really blows. Okay so if i connect it to a windows vista will i be able to plug it into a mac in the future just for a quick recharge?

8. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

If you have a PowerPC, you can run Leopard, although I can understand why you want to keep Tiger.

Contrary to what somebody said, in order to upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard (if you have Intel Mac), you legally need a full SL install package. The £29 - or whatever it costs in your country - applies to upgrading from Leopard.

My suggestion is to either to upgrade to Leopard or to buy a cheap PC or Intel Mac (is there such a thing?). Also, you might get a cheap eMac or something on which you might run Leopard, if you fancy another PPC. I actually have two old eMacs and I was surprised how snappy they are with some RAM and HDD upgrade. In fact, I have the same amount of RAM in one of them as I have in my MacBook Air.

9. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The disc is the same as the $169 one.

10. Chuch thread starter macrumors newbie

Agh. That sounds like it could turn out to be really expensive and time consuming and I just dropped $300 on the iphone so i think i will take the easier and less expensive route and link it to my windows vista...

Thanks a lot guys for the quick help :)

11. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

It might be, but I was talking about a legal point. The low price is an upgrade price.

12. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I just ran into this same problem with our daughter's iMac G5. So I called Apple Tech Support. We all have AppleCare on our iPhones. They agreed to ship us Leopard for $17 (since Snow Leopard is Intel only). Now THAT'S good tech support!

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Not true, I was in this situation as well, execpt I had a broken Superdrive. I took it in to the Apple store near me and they don't even sell Leopard discs anymore, all they had was the $29 SL disc, which the happily installed for me on my Tiger MBP.

14. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wow, that is nice! Apple does things we never expect because other companies (except a few) aren't like that with customer support.

15. reverseration macrumors newbie

i just encountered this problem....a friend may or may not have agreed to give me a certain install disc...but if this falls through...how much of a fit did you have to raise to get this $17 deal? i hate doing stuff like that but i'm a little pissed....i've got a new phone that i cant do much with

16. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

no...no its not.

when you put it in you NEED a copy or leopard installed in order to install it.

17. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

nah

18. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

guess I'm getting a new macbook or macbook pro...ibookG4 is gonna have to get retired...it was good while it lasted, its been around the world a few times and still sees daily use but if it cant be used with new iphone...bye bye

19. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

If I remember correctly, people with Tiger bought the $29 copy of Snow Leopard and it worked fine.

20. astarling06 macrumors regular

astarling06

I upgraded from Tiger on my Macbook Pro to Snow Leopard with the $29 upgrade disc no problem.

21. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It's not so much of a technical issue but a legal one. Why would anyone keep Tiger? My first Mac was an iBook G4 which had Tiger. Leopard definitely kicks it where it hurts.

22. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Same here upgraded from tiger 10.4 to snow leopard with the 29£ disc with not a problem in sight.

Even the genius tryed to make out it would'nt work but i knew it did!!

23. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay