Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
I bought a new iPphone 4 and plugged into into my mac and got the message, The iPhone "iPhone" cannot be used because it requires Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later. Im currently running 10.4.11 tiger. Is there some way around this or will i have to buy a whole new mac?

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
I bought a new iPphone 4 and plugged into into my mac and got the message, The iPhone "iPhone" cannot be used because it requires Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later. Im currently running 10.4.11 tiger. Is there some way around this or will i have to buy a whole new mac?

Yep

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
Either upgrade your OS to the minimum version required, use a Windows machine with iTunes 9.2 or later, or buy a new Mac, yes.

Chuch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
Dang, that really blows. Okay so if i connect it to a windows vista will i be able to plug it into a mac in the future just for a quick recharge?

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
If you have a PowerPC, you can run Leopard, although I can understand why you want to keep Tiger.

Contrary to what somebody said, in order to upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard (if you have Intel Mac), you legally need a full SL install package. The £29 - or whatever it costs in your country - applies to upgrading from Leopard.

My suggestion is to either to upgrade to Leopard or to buy a cheap PC or Intel Mac (is there such a thing?). Also, you might get a cheap eMac or something on which you might run Leopard, if you fancy another PPC. I actually have two old eMacs and I was surprised how snappy they are with some RAM and HDD upgrade. In fact, I have the same amount of RAM in one of them as I have in my MacBook Air.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
If you have a PowerPC, you can run Leopard, although I can understand why you want to keep Tiger.

Contrary to what somebody said, in order to upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard (if you have Intel Mac), you legally need a full SL install package. The £29 - or whatever it costs in your country - applies to upgrading from Leopard.

The disc is the same as the $169 one.

Chuch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008

My suggestion is to either to upgrade to Leopard or to buy a cheap PC or Intel Mac (is there such a thing?). Also, you might get a cheap eMac or something on which you might run Leopard, if you fancy another PPC. I actually have two old eMacs and I was surprised how snappy they are with some RAM and HDD upgrade. In fact, I have the same amount of RAM in one of them as I have in my MacBook Air.

Agh. That sounds like it could turn out to be really expensive and time consuming and I just dropped $300 on the iphone so i think i will take the easier and less expensive route and link it to my windows vista...

Thanks a lot guys for the quick help :)

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I just ran into this same problem with our daughter's iMac G5. So I called Apple Tech Support. We all have AppleCare on our iPhones. They agreed to ship us Leopard for $17 (since Snow Leopard is Intel only). Now THAT'S good tech support!

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
It might be, but I was talking about a legal point. The low price is an upgrade price.

Not true, I was in this situation as well, execpt I had a broken Superdrive. I took it in to the Apple store near me and they don't even sell Leopard discs anymore, all they had was the $29 SL disc, which the happily installed for me on my Tiger MBP.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
I just ran into this same problem with our daughter's iMac G5. So I called Apple Tech Support. We all have AppleCare on our iPhones. They agreed to ship us Leopard for $17 (since Snow Leopard is Intel only). Now THAT'S good tech support!

Wow, that is nice! Apple does things we never expect because other companies (except a few) aren't like that with customer support.

reverseration

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2009

i just encountered this problem....a friend may or may not have agreed to give me a certain install disc...but if this falls through...how much of a fit did you have to raise to get this $17 deal? i hate doing stuff like that but i'm a little pissed....i've got a new phone that i cant do much with

Cynikal.Mindset

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Guelph ON, Canada
guess I'm getting a new macbook or macbook pro...ibookG4 is gonna have to get retired...it was good while it lasted, its been around the world a few times and still sees daily use but if it cant be used with new iphone...bye bye

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
It's not so much of a technical issue but a legal one. Why would anyone keep Tiger? My first Mac was an iBook G4 which had Tiger. Leopard definitely kicks it where it hurts.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
I upgraded from Tiger on my Macbook Pro to Snow Leopard with the $29 upgrade disc no problem.

Same here upgraded from tiger 10.4 to snow leopard with the 29£ disc with not a problem in sight.

Even the genius tryed to make out it would'nt work but i knew it did!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.