Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OkDude

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 22, 2018
Just bought an iPhone 7. just don't like the glass backs on 8 and X.

Not sure if I should get apple care? Worth it?

Also how long can you wait to get applecare after buying an iPhone? isn't there a limited window?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If you are accident prone and have damaged phones in the past, you might want to consider it. I have never bought AC+ and never needed it. If I trashed my X today and had to buy another, I would still be ahead financially.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brandonjr36

osta.doc

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2016
Just bought an iPhone 7. just don't like the glass backs on 8 and X.

Not sure if I should get apple care? Worth it?

Also how long can you wait to get applecare after buying an iPhone? isn't there a limited window?
60 days from purchase date, I’m pretty sure. I elected not to buy AppleCare, and hope that I don’t regret it. Don’t even use a case most of the time, but I’m very careful too.

Accidents do happen though.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Nope in my opinion AppleCare isn’t that good. Especially in your case. You have an iPhone 7 i think it’s what $200 for AppleCare. Then $100 deductible to get a new phone if you break it. That’s $300. Apple will let you give them your broken phone even without Apple care and I think $360 and you can get a new one. Then you take no risk. If you break it give them the $360 and get a new one if you don’t you save all the money from Applecare.
[doublepost=1527262067][/doublepost]It’s actually $150 for the AppleCare plus $99 for the deductible. So that’s $250 the replacement iPhone 7 is $319 so your better off paying the $69 extra if something happens. Then to take the gamble and nothing might ever happen. I’d recommend just getting a decent case and glass screen protector.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Nope in my opinion AppleCare isn’t that good. Especially in your case. You have an iPhone 7 i think it’s what $200 for AppleCare. Then $100 deductible to get a new phone if you break it. That’s $300. Apple will let you give them your broken phone even without Apple care and I think $360 and you can get a new one. Then you take no risk. If you break it give them the $360 and get a new one if you don’t you save all the money from Applecare.
[doublepost=1527262067][/doublepost]It’s actually $150 for the AppleCare plus $99 for the deductible. So that’s $250 the replacement iPhone 7 is $319 so your better off paying the $69 extra if something happens. Then to take the gamble and nothing might ever happen. I’d recommend just getting a decent case and glass screen protector.

I would say AppleCare really can be beneficial or can be quite expensive depending on how you look at it. If you’re somebody with an iPhone that uses a really good case and you worried about inadvertent damage with dropping it, I don’t necessarily think AppleCare would be necessary, even though it does cover other things besides damage. But in the case of the Apple Watch for example, that would be a good product I would suggest Apple care for, being its likely to being hit on things when wearing on your wrist. Personally, it’s all variable what somebody values with AppleCare or not.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
I would say AppleCare really can be beneficial or can be quite expensive depending on how you look at it. If you’re somebody with an iPhone that uses a really good case and you worried about inadvertent damage with dropping it, I don’t necessarily think AppleCare would be necessary, even though it does cover other things besides damage. But in the case of the Apple Watch for example, that would be a good product I would suggest Apple care for, being its likely to being hit on things when wearing on your wrist. Personally, it’s all variable what somebody values with AppleCare or not.
Yeah I agree. Just for me I don’t think it would be beneficial for myself on an iPhone anyway. The screen replacements for $29 is definitely nice tho. The major thing I don’t like about AppleCare is it doesn’t cover lost or stolen.

Reactions: 44267547

PhoneMe1

Suspended
Mar 23, 2018
Have found recently Apple support don't want to do express replacement if you don't have apple care +, was for a iPad pro 10.5, is this happening in other countries?
Would be my only reason to have it as live 5 hours for a apple store.

DanMacApple

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
I don’t always purchase warranties but did for the iPhone . It pretty much gives two years of protection. I know there is a deductible but I don’t always have a lot of extra money so for me it’s helpful. I know everyone has their own opinion but that’s mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.