just bought iphone, is applecare worth it ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sportsfan1234, Apr 25, 2011.

1. sportsfan1234 macrumors member

I'm a newb. I just used my phone upgrade to buy iphone 4 for verizon. This is my first smart phone. The guy at the verizon wireless store told me that if anything happens to my iphone, the warranty covers it within 90 days (however, I have to pay to have it shipped it to apple). HOWEVER, should anything should happen after 90 days, (dropped, cracked, water, stolen...etc) I'm out $600 for getting a new iphone because it violates "my contract".

I just went to Target and found out they have an AppleCare protection plan for iphone that covers it up to 2 years, and you don't have to pay for shipping either. It only costs $80, and if anything happens to your iphone, you can take it to an Apple store, and right on the spot and they will fix it for you there for no charge. This sounds like a very good deal to me. My question is, does anyone have applecare for iphone, is it worth it , and are there any exceptions that applecare for iphone DOES NOT COVER????

right now i'm leaning towards getting it....

2. nathanschafer macrumors member

Applecare only covers your phone for things which occured itself. It does not cover accidental damage like cracks, drops, water damage and etc. It will only cover things which the phone did itself. For example, the camera stops working.

3. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Did you pay with a credit card? Most offer an extra 1 year of warranty for free. Total therefore 2 years...same as Applecare.

4. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

I did pay with credit card, but was not offered an extended warranty for free. So, what is the point of getting applecare ??? If I drop it and the screen cracks, i have to pay to get it replaced....if i drop it in water, I have to pay to get it replaced....etc....

5. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

if the screen cracks, you drop it in water, lose it/stolen.....do you have to pay for another one even if you have applecare ???

6. 184550 Guest

IMO, AppleCare is not worth it as, as the posters above have pointed out, any damage your iPhone sustains is likely due to accidental damage due to handling (ADH); cracked screen, dropped in water, etc...

If you're looking to cover those types of instances, give SquareTrade (or similar) a look as they all cover ADH.

7. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

8. Resist macrumors 68030

Applecare is not insurance, Applecare is just an extended warranty. Why people don't understand this is beyond me.

If you want insurance go to www.squaretrade.com.

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) Warranty wouldn't cover accidental damage on day 1
    2) Application has a phone replacement for such instances at any time for $199

Never believe a sales rep when it comes to extended warranties. Do your own reasearch.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

10. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

11. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Do you work for Apple or something?

12. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Hmm....Maybe.

No I don't. However 5 years ago I worked in a warehouse for Apple. Look it up, On Laguna road in Elk Grove, California.

13. sportsfan1234 thread starter macrumors member

wait im confused now....is squaretrade a scam or legit ? apple care ???

im actually thinking about getting both because 1. im a newb and know i will prob have tech issues that i will need to call apple on. 2. there is a good chance some "accidental damage" will happen to my iphone over the next 2 years that wont be covered by applecare. if i were to buy both it would cover me in all areas and roughly cost $175....thoughts ???

14. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

Also, with Square Trade there is a $50 deductible.

15. bmservice macrumors newbie

Applecare covers your phone for things which occured itself. It does not cover accidental damage like cracks, drops, water damage and etc. It will only cover things which the phone did itself. :eek: