Just bought Ipod....have some follow-up questions..

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by digitalduck, May 16, 2008.

1. digitalduck macrumors regular

Thanks to everyone's advice i bought the 16gig today. Anyway it didnt come with the jan update but i have JB it to 1.1.4. I have put a few apps and games on there so far.

1. I tried to put open ssh on twice and its installed but i dont have an icon for it.

2. How do I install zipped files? I have scrabble on my desktop but how do i install it?

3. Do I have to worry about the two partitions? Ive already been told im running low on space.

4. About the Jan apps... i suppose if I knew how to install zipped files i could do it. I looked for someones "source" that i was told to look for and didn't see his name listed there...im not sure if i get the whole source thing yet.

I think that will do for now..thanks!!

looking forwrd to getting some emulators on there!

2. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

1. OpenSSH doesn't have an icon. It's just 'there' and you can just SSH into your touch by following some guides (use Cyberduck)
    2. I think you need to SSH into your touch.
    3. Install 'BossTool' and move the apps to the 'main' partition (the one where you put your songs, etc.)
    4. Go open up Installer.app, hit sources at the bottom, add, at enter the one you want. Here's a complete list of sources (repositories) wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/IPhone_Installer_Source_List
    Yeah, so some might be wrong, so feel free to correct me, anybody else. Remember, Google is your friend!

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

in regards to zipped files they need to be extracted to hard drive and then ssh or ftp into the ipod via the touch's IP address (found under settings --> wi-fi --> (connection will be identified by a tick) click the blue circle with an arrow --> IP address will be top of the list on page. Username and password for logging into touch would be

connect to : <ip address>
    Login: root
    password: alpine

when logged in put / into the address bar then press enter, navgate to applications folder and upload the .app folder to here.

go into the folder and make sure all files are set to permissions of 755 (cyberduck I am not sure of) cute ftp is just right click on a file then permissions and change the number to 755