Just bought IPT - thought it would have the new apps...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sers, Jan 24, 2008.

1. sers macrumors regular

Just picked up my 16GB IPT today. A bit of a hard pill to swallow (money wise), but this device is awesome. Been playing with it all night and have been able to access the web through my iMac on it (airport wi-fi signal, learned how thanks to this forum).

I was a bit miffed, however, when after it had finished updating to 1.1.3, that the new apps were not installed. I thought that all iPods would have the update after January 15 (ala Steve Jobs). I'm surprised they aren't on it. I'm going to call Apple tomorrow and ask them why.......as their website states that if you've bought an IPT before Jan. 15, you can buy the apps for $20. However, it doesn't mention anything about IPTs purchased after this date. I would assume that any bought after this date would have the apps downloaded onto them (for IPTs already in circulation) or have them preinstalled (for new ones coming out).

2. Quasiportnoy macrumors regular

I think one or two people on this forum have gotten a credit for the apps when purchasing post-Macworld. Call them up and ask. The worst they can say is no.

3. docprego macrumors 65816

The iPod Touch price has been reduced by $20. You should have paid that reduced price and therefore got the update for free once you shell out the $20 for it. I Was in the Apple store 2 days ago and all the Touches were reduced $20.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Yeah, apparently if you've purchased your iPod after January 15 you can buy the upgrade and Apple will then refund the entire purchase price.

It also depends where you bought it from, stores that stock the Touch may take a while to get the "updated" versions; at the moment the only place you'd definitely get an updated one is through the Apple store as they replace their old stock as soon as an update is available.

5. ndheah macrumors regular

If you bought from anywhere but an Apple Store, you paid $20 less than what people did before, and that is your 'credit' for the Apps.

6. sers thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to call them up tonight and see what they say.

Man this thing is great - I'm already using it like my PDA, but the other apps would be nice. I found that typing on it is no problem at all and I actually prefer it to pressing on physical keys.

7. sers thread starter macrumors regular

Just called Apple about the apps. The rep on the phone didn't make any sense. She said to just keep returning IPTs to the store until I get one that has the apps already installed:confused: I asked why they just couldn't let me download it off iTunes and give me a refund?? "No can do", they said. WTF?? How inconvenient is that???

I'm going to call back tomorrow and hope to talk to someone else at Apple. Maybe they'll give me a better answer. Talk about being inconsistent.:eek:

8. sers thread starter macrumors regular

Hah, just called Apple back and they said the new touches with the apps will be $20 more. So, either download the apps for $20 or return it and get one with the apps that costs $20 more.

Oh well......

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

10. nakile macrumors regular

Where did you buy it from? An Apple store or somewhere else?

11. sers thread starter macrumors regular

12. nakile macrumors regular

Alright. That right there answers a lot of question.

When Apple announced the iPod Touch update, retailers were supposed to drop the price of currents iPod Touches by $20 in order to make up for the money you would need to pay to get the update off of iTunes. For example, the price would be $279, not $299 for the 8GB unit.

Apple did not have to do this because they started to ship units with the update installed the second they announced it, so the $20 dollar rebate in order to break even was not needed.

I guess the question here is did Future Shop drop the price? If they did, you most likely just didn't notice or thought it was some sort of sale. If so, then you WILL have to buy the update yourself.

If they didn't drop the price, then you just got ripped out of $20 dollars.