Just bought... loving it... but a question about chatting!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RWCantel, Apr 18, 2009.

1. RWCantel macrumors newbie

Just bought a 15" unibody MBP with upgraded processor and HDD... loving it - it's my first mac!!

anyway, I've downloaded MSN 7.0 for Mac, and I know it's a microsoft program, but it doesn't seem to want to let me a) change my profile pic at all, and b) doesn't give me the option, at all, to set up/use my built-in webcam?

is there a program that I should use instead, that uses my MSN list so that I don't lose my contacts, but can use the profile pic/webcam abilities? or should I be using an older version of MSN for Mac? right now I think it's 7.0.2 or something.... when I go to change profile pic, and then try to use a JPEG or JPG from my computer (and from my old windows PC) it says that's it's not a compatible picture file, despite the fact that it will let me view the picture?... what?

and LASTLY, are there any must-have (free) apps or tips/advice you can give me as a new MAC user to further enjoy my time with my MBP? I'm excited as hell to play on it some more, and I've been messing with GarageBand, but I'm not sure that I fully understand it yet!

Thanks guys!

2. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

Adium is the defacto 3rd party IM client and does support MSN, but at this time it does not support Video/audio chatting.

3. dantherevelator macrumors regular

Adium is the way to go, unless you have to have video chat, in which case you're stuck with MSN messenger.

For software recommendations, check here.

4. RWCantel thread starter macrumors newbie

there are NO video chat apps for MAC --> PC??? MSN messenger for me, on MAC, won't do video, and I don't have a webcam for my windows based laptop

5. dantherevelator macrumors regular

iChat does a dandy job with video chat, but only on jabber and aim protocols. The only video chat with MSN protocol at the moment is Messenger.

6. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

Google, Skype, and Gizmo are the three cross platform video chat applications I can think of.

7. Axytho macrumors newbie

8. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

Yes there is: aMSN (open source) I use this and it's a great application!

http://www.amsn-project.net/

9. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

congrats on the new mac!!! :D It's a lovely feeling isn't it? Holding that virgin piece of metal in your hands ?

like the others said, adium is the number one messaging app for mac. Usually if I need to video chat I'll just use skype.

10. RWCantel thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!!! lovin it thusfar!

any apps your guys might suggest? I'm still just running the basic clock/weather/calc/calendar

11. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

get istat widget for your dashboard so you can monitor heat, fans, processes etc. Very useful.

Download tweetdeck if you twitter.
    Download cyberduck for FTP.
    get google notifier if you use gmail.
    bowtie for pretty album cover art on your desktop.
    cooliris for safari or firefox for viewing pictures.
    transmission for torrents

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

13. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

They aren't apps, they are widgets. Apps are placed in your desk and in your Apps folder. (Finder toll bar -> Go -> Apps)

You might also expect video chatting in the next Msn Messenger for Mac version, look like they are working on perfection it. At least, IMO, there's no way they can do it worse.

14. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

:eek:

There is now a "toll" for using your Mac! ;) :D