Just bought: Mac Pro, Now Upgrades

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thelongmorrow, Mar 13, 2009.

1. thelongmorrow macrumors member

I ordered myself a mac pro last night and now im looking to purchase upgrades. Let me know what you think, or if you seen anything cheaper or different product selections. I have spent some time researching everything.

Mac Pro Ordered:
    One 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xe
    3GB (3x1GB)
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB
    640GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb
    One 18x SuperDrive
    AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi Card
    Apple Mighty Mouse
    APPLE KB (NUM)& USER GD
    Country Kit Mac Pro <-- What is this anyway?????

Tentative Upgrades:
    8gb ram (4x2gb) $155.48 from OWC including shipping
    WD 1TB HD 7200 rpm (WD1001FALS) $103.99 from Amazon
    Apple LED cinema display 24'' $863.92 including tax and EDU discount from Apple
    Windows XP home edition full SP3 $89.59 from Ebay OR Vista Home prem. 64-bit for $128.00

Let me know what you think!

2. thelongmorrow thread starter macrumors member

After talking to a friend he mentioned that Windows XP will work but he heard that I need the 64 bit professional or vista so it could use all my ram.... is this true? can someone clarify this?

PS the only reason I need XP is for occasional gaming and my fiance needs to run some windows only software for her classes.

3. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yup, it's true.

Then you probably don't need the 64-bit OS. You can still have more RAM installed. It's just that a 32-bit OS won't be able to use more than 3 gigs - probably enough for any/all games. Check the game boxes for min. requirements. :)

4. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

For the amount of RAM you will have in your Mac Pro, you will need a 64 bit version of Windows, however, as far as I am aware, Windows XP 64 bit is not supported so you would need to go for Vista.

5. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

No. Not true.

He can run any windows he wants. It just won't see the extra RAM is all. I run 32-bit windows (and 64) on a machine with 12 gigs! Works fine.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I just ordered a WD 1TB Black Edition HDD for my new 2.26 GHz Mac Pro - can't go wrong with the extra storage. :)

As far as the 24" ACD goes, it is an awesome monitor. If you want/need a new display to go along with your Mac Pro, then go for it! :) :apple:

7. thelongmorrow thread starter macrumors member

Yea I figure hey, Apple charges $100 to upgrade from the 640GB to the 1TB when you can just get the 640 and BUY another 1TB for $104! And they charge $250 to upgrade to 8GB ram when you can spend $150 at OWC for the upgrade AND trade in the old stock RAM. But we all know this about apple.

As far as the monitor, I have 2 19" POS Westinghouse LCD's.... I was in the apple store and fell in love with the 24", Apple must build some hypnotic device in their products. But I have to put it off for another month or so because I have to pay my NY taxes :mad: and its my fiances bday is in a few weeks. :p

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Isn't Apple upgrading those machines next Tuesday?

9. thelongmorrow thread starter macrumors member

Which machines are you talking about? Mac Pros were just upgraded!????:confused::confused::confused:

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree, I feel the same way every time that I visit an Apple Store. :cool: :)

11. cuestakid macrumors 68000

Just to add on to the idea of using a 64-bit Windows; while there is a 64-bit version of XP, it is not very stable or usable so if you really want/need to use 64 bit windows, vista really is the best as it is just better than XP(speaking specifically about 64 bit usability)

12. hajime macrumors 68030

13. thelongmorrow thread starter macrumors member

So I am ready to buy windows. I am going to go with Vista Home premium 64 bit for $128. I don't feel like spending $200 for ultimate because its windows... period. Everything should be fine with this version correct? as far as recognizing RAM and playing games ect. I haven't ever used vista. I switched to OS X during XP days, and my Job still uses XP professional.

EDIT: I will be using Bootcamp. The Ebay page says: "Your computer system MUST have 64-Bit Processor / CPU to operate 64-Bit Vista! If you plan to install Vista with Apple Mac Parallels Desktop and Boot Camp, it will ONLY support Vista 32-Bit! "

IS THIS TRUE? Bootcamp only supports 32 bit?

EDIT 2: FROM THE APPLE SITE:
    Run Windows at native speed.

Boot Camp supports the most popular 32-bit releases of Windows XP and Windows Vista. When you use either operating system on your Mac, your Windows applications will run at native speed. Windows applications have full access to multiple processors and multiple cores, accelerated 3D graphics, and high-speed connections like USB, FireWire, Wi-Fi, and Gigabit Ethernet.

14. soulman901 macrumors newbie

Try the Wikipedia Article.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_Camp_(software)
    I say if it's an Intel Processor that supports 64Bit you should be good.
    There should be no issues for you.
    Older Mac Pro's will probably have issues but newer ones shouldn't.

15. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Forget XP- go hardware. How about a new raptor HD (I think it is raptor)? Spinning at twice the current speed.