Just Bought MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BoricuaHec01, Apr 4, 2018.

1. BoricuaHec01, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018

BoricuaHec01 macrumors 6502a

BoricuaHec01

So I finally got the urge in purchasing my first MacBook Pro 2017 13" i5 8GB memory 256GB storage without touch bar in space gray. Such an awesome device especially coming from a PC. It's definitely something I have to get used to. I know it's pretty pointless in making a thread about it but just asking for possible tips and such to really take advantage of the device. I mainly only use it for basic needs like web browsing, downloads, music, etc. When I first did the set up process I was hesitate in putting FileVault but did it anyways. I heard from previous threads that it's not a good idea especially when downloading a new software. Is this accurate? And is there a way to turn it off? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Just found out how to disable FileVault.

2. Painter2002 macrumors 6502a

Painter2002

Congrats! I just bought a refurbished MacBook Pro exactly like yours about a week ago and I love it! Always have bought older used MacBooks, and glad I finally made the jump. I am still learning myself all the stuff that you can do on this MacBook.

As for FileVault, I personally have tried it on older MacBook Pros and it does take a considerable hit on performance, especially as it gets older. With these newer MacBooks you shouldn't notice a major impact, but as the computer gets older the FileVault may cause some slowdowns to you processing speeds. If you use it in public places a lot (i.e. workplace or coffeeshops), FileVault is a good safe guard incase someone tries to steal the laptop, but if you are mostly using it in personal locals it's fine to leave it off (IMO).

3. BoricuaHec01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

BoricuaHec01

Thank you and congrats to you as well, can't be anymore excited then this. Well, unless I opted to the Touch Bar but couldn't see myself spending the extra $400+ for it. And good to know about FileVault, I'll good ahead and turn it off. Really no need for it. Thanks again.

4. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

I think you bought a really nice machine that should be of good service for years to come. And not buying the latest/greatest makes it also a wise investment that is a much better value for money.

I’ll always put FileVault on because it’s my work machine and it goes with me everywhere.
    it has client data, it has a limited amount of sensitive (social security and the likes) data, so then it’s wise to use.
    But if it’s a stay-home-mostly-personal type of use you could leave it off.

What ever you do, backups are a good thing. And like security things in life: one is none, two is one. So I would advice to read up about Time Machine for daily backups and use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to make a regular off-site backup.

One other thing to keep in mind is to try to use the App Store as much as possible. It easier and much more trusted to get programs from. That being said, MS Office, Acrobat or Carbon Copy Cloner aren’t available in the App Store.

5. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

Just bought one myself, opted for a refurb and honestly it’s as good as new - everything came in the same packaging I would expect if buying new, with one small difference that it says “refurbished” in small writing on the box - oh well, it’s in the bin now anyway.

I’ve upgraded from a 2013 MBA which had a failed battery, so it’s nice to be able to use a laptop without having to plug it in again.

Other than that, I guess I’m a bit underwhelmed - I’m not sure what I was expecting, but it’s very much the same experience as before (albeit with a much nicer screen). One positive; it came with iWork for free this time, so I don’t need to bother with MS Office :)

I’ll have a better play with it tonight, and my opinion my change