Just Bought My Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by AppleMan940, Apr 9, 2009.

1. AppleMan940 macrumors member

Hey,

Remember I was asking a couple of questions regarding patchsticks and the like. Well, I found one in a fairly local store today and didn't hesitate. Damn this is a good little machine.

My first patchstick didn't work too well but I then used the Google Code ATV4Windows and it was great. Two things though:

1) I've now got a folder or plugin called Launcher and one called Software Menu. Why do I have the ability to download XBMC/Launcher through Sftware Menu if I can already do this through Launcher?
    2) Which XBMC do I dl? There's babylon and something else... Is one alpha one beta? Does Apple TV tell me when a new version of something comes out cause Boxee is like 0.91194 or something will it tell me when 1.0 is out...
    3) When I opened Boxee I saw the classic Apple interface. I saw menus, the cool Mac OS interface. Is this Os X underneath? So how would I get MAC os X working on the unit on Take 2 without opening it up, I have SSH. I'd like to format the disk clean and wack on Mac OS then install the Apple TV project :).

2. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

Software menu is a plugin that supposedly lets you tune your aTV. unfortunately it does not really work that well.

Apple will not tell you when there is a new plugin version :)

There are lots of sites that talk about installing OS X on AppleTV, e.g. hackint0sh.org, however I perosnally think it is not worth the effort.

Use the standard interface, do some patching with the plugins, but that is basically it.

Just my 2 cents