Just bought my first brand new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by FurryFoxMacuser, Oct 18, 2011.

1. FurryFoxMacuser macrumors member

FurryFoxMacuser

Hello all, I am new to the forums and thought I'd sign up since I am a mac user and have been for almost a year now. I just recently (last night) bought myself a brand new iMac 21.5" computer from best buy and I am loving it. This is best computer I have ever owned. It's certainly the fastest and best looking/most compact computer I've ever owned. I do have one question though. I've have seen some unboxing videos of this macs on youtube and they have come with restore discs. Mine didn't. I was wondering, does the iMac for mid 2011 come with them or are they just something I have to make on my own? Or can I buy them from apple? Also, here are the specs for the machine.

2.5Ghz quad-core Intel i5 processor
    500GB HDD
    4GB of RAM
    Running Mac OS X lion 10.7.1

I wish I could post some pics but my phone is not connecting to my computer so I will get some ASAP. Also, does anyone have any tips for a new comer to lion? Thanks

-Dan

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

ever since lion came out macs (unfortunately) stopped coming with reinstall disks/drives (For the macbook airs). Instead there is a partition on the hard-drive with the OS installd

3. FurryFoxMacuser thread starter macrumors member

FurryFoxMacuser

Thanks simsaladimbamba for the how to guide. I'm surprised that they stopped including OS restore discs with new macs. Also, just had a little scare with my mac and just wondering if anyone would know what just happened. I was surfing the web and had two tabs open one on facebook and the other on youtube and the mac completely froze. I had to hold in the power button and shut it down that way and start it back up like it says to do in the instruction manual. Is the iMac ok? This may be a little over reacting but should I take it somewhere to get looked at or is it nothing to worry about? I am just really worried since this is my first new mac. Thanks.

-Dan

4. simsaladimbamba

If it happens regularly (twice or more per day), then yes, otherwise it was just a ****up, due to Facebook and YouTube being sometimes a bit too heavy.

5. FurryFoxMacuser thread starter macrumors member

FurryFoxMacuser

Oh thank god. I thought there was something seriously wrong with it. Thanks for the quick reply. So, I really should have youtube open with another tab? I'm unsure and always second guessing myself when it comes to stuff like this.

6. simsaladimbamba

You can have ten YouTube tabs open at one time, sometimes ****ups just happen. Just try recreating the moment before it crashed and see, if the same thing occurs.

But before you need to really restart a Mac, you can always try CMD+SHIFT+ESC to exit a not responding application.

7. FurryFoxMacuser thread starter macrumors member

FurryFoxMacuser

I tried to do the CMD+SHIFT+ESC to bring up the thing to force quit all apps but that didn't work. But thank for the tip. ;)