Just bought my first ever iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FrenchPB, May 16, 2012.

1. FrenchPB macrumors 6502

Hello all,

Thanks to your advice, I got myself my first ever tablet, an ipad 3 with a camera connector kit and a dark gray smart cover.

I'm kinda scared to open the device, hoping that my screen won't be yellow-ish, pink-ish, or whatever you guys have seen in the past.

Here is the production information by the way, I'll open up the box in a couple of minutes...

Name: iPad 3
    Group1: iPad
    Group2: WiFi
    Generation: 3
    Machine Model: iPad3,1
    Model introduced: 2012
    Production year: 2012
    Production week: 17 (April)
    introduced test: GOED
    CPU speed: 1.0GHz
    Family name: Become a pro user to see this information. (sorry)
    Screen size: 9 inch
    Screen resolution: 2048x1536 pixels
    Colour: Black
    Capacity: 16GB
    Factory: DM (China - Foxconn)

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Congratulations on your new iPad.

Hope you enjoy it.

On a side note, and i'm sure your not alone with this, but who the hell researches the production information BEFORE even opening it?

Open the dam thing and have a play, it's an ipad, have some fun and live a little!

:)

3. FrenchPB thread starter macrumors 6502

Someone who has spent WAY too much time reading macrumors forums :D

4. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Hehe I can hardly wait til the delivery guy is gone to open my apple products.

5. nfl46 macrumors 603

6. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Even if the screen isn't perfect, you've got 14 days to return or exchange it. Not sure what you're scared of.

7. slimjim.dj macrumors newbie

Awesome! Enjoy!

I bought my first one, end of last week! Its already well travelled! I took it from England to the south of France to see my Dad last weekend!

I got the 64GB Wifi + 4G

I love it! Why microsoft have stayed in business this long is beyond me! I cant wait until they update the iMac I going to buy one as soon as they do :eek:)

8. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Congrats, but just open the box and have some fun with the new device. If you notice things in normal usage Apple will make it right. Don't spend the first 2 hours running benchmark tests and viewing completely solid backgrounds in no light.

9. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

You researched the production information before even cracking up the box? LOL, Now that is hard core! Enjoy your new toy!

10. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Congratulations on the purchase! You made a good choice, no other tablet has so many tablet optimized apps.

I actually just purchased the exact same thing but 64gb and wireless keyboard as well.

11. FrenchPB thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, first impressions after a couple of hours of use...

I LOVE IT ! Wow, I gotta say I'm impressed. I didn't really believe in the whole tablet experience, but this is really a nice toy.

Everything looks great. I looked at a totally white screen opening up a new tab in safari, and I haven't noticed anything particularly wrong. Now, I haven't compared the screen to anything else, and the white is probably not perfectly white, but that is totally fine for me.

The only thing that is not "perfect" is the fact that the home button feels like it's just a very tiny bit over the screen, so when I put my finger on its edges I can feel the edges if that make any sense. On my iphone, the transition between th screen and the home button is a little bit nicer, but really no big deal here !

Using the device, I noticed that after an hour, some webpages wouldn't be displayed properly. I tried stlcardinals at first, which worked perfectly fine. Now, when I go back to that page, I get a broken html page, with some content on it but not everything, some content missing, and so on... has that happened to you before ?

Also, when I made a good search, the link wouldn't work anymore at some point, and now they work again... can't put my finger on what happened there as well.

Now, a couple of questions for you :

- on a website, there's a link to open a pdf. When I click on it, it opens the pdf in safari... is there a way for me to save the pdf from the ipad and save it in iBooks or Bookstore for offline reading ?

- what are the must-have apps you're using ? If you don't want to answer that, no worries, I'll look for an answer on this forum or google :)

One last thing : I purchased a smart cover but I feel like I don't need it to use my ipad. I think I'll just return it and buy a very simple neoprene sleeve to carry the ipad around when I'm on the go. I don't need extra protection. Would you have any recommendation for such a simple, black neoprene sleeve ? Where could I buy that in the US ?

12. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

Three words: tap and hold. It does a lot in Safari. :)

The only truly essential app I'd recommend for the general iPad user is Flipboard. Give it a try. Apple should buy it and make it a built in app. Google Currents is a similar app but I think Flipboard bests it.

Most people also love Evernote although I don't really find much use for it.

My home button is like yours so don't worry.

I find the smart cover indispensable. Try it for a while before returning it. Instant on when you lift the thing is pretty useful.

Random app to try:Ghostbomb.

Apps I have and use daily:

Pages
    eBay for iPad

13. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

If I understand your description of the Home button issue, I think that's how it's supposed to feel. I'd describe mine that way too.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Have you set up your cover as a keyboard stand yet? I find it amazingly useful for that. Make sure you try typing an email like that and then with the iPad flat on the table.

Only decide if you want to keep it or not after that test.

Attached Files:

15. Eadfrith macrumors 6502

Eadfrith

16. FrenchPB thread starter macrumors 6502

A day after buying the ipad, I look at its back and noticed a scratch at the bottom, near the dock connector.

In all fairness, I have to say that I realize that my ipad will get scratches over time, and also, that scratch can only be seen by looking at the back in a certain angle...

But I'm a little bit bothered that I got that scratch out of the box. I've only used the ipad on my bed for two hours yesterday, it is not possible that a scratch happened at that time... I'm a little bit annoyed. I'm very happy with the ipad, and I'll be leaving the US on Saturday evening so I don't want to risk returning it to get an other one that might have other issues.

What do you think, should I do something about it or just live with it, the ipad will see worse in its lifetime...

17. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    If its only a tiny scratch in a place you will never notice its no big deal. Use your iPad for several months and you will have many tiny scratches.

18. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

If you've got a screen you're happy with then I'd stick with it. My new iPad 3 has a very small nick near the headphone jack when it took it out of the box. The issue is that (a) aluminium is a crappy material to make computer hardware out of because it's far too soft and (b) Apple's quality control has dropped though the floor with the iPad. But if yours works then I'd stick with it.

19. slimjim.dj macrumors newbie

It took me ages to work out tap and hold hehe!

20. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Yeah, I would NEVER post before opening. One of my favorite things about a new Apple product is opening the box, a thing of beauty in its own right!:)

----------

If you have a good screen, that is what matters. Don't exchange for a small cosmetic scratch. There is a reasonable chance you may not end up with a good screen on the exchange.:eek: