Just bought my first iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gmbaker44, Sep 24, 2013.

1. gmbaker44 macrumors newbie

And I couldn't be more excited.

27-inch iMac
    With the following configuration:
    •3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    •16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X8GB
    •512GB Flash Storage
    •NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5
    •Apple Magic Mouse
    •Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    •Accessory Kit

2. Macalway macrumors 68020

Congrats

Yikes, thats a beast. Makes me want to run down to the Apple store (must resist).

3. WJKramer macrumors 6502

I got the same but overpaid for 32GB of RAM. Can't wait. Will be my second iMac. They last forever.

4. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

not forever my 2008 24 inch died after about 5 1/2 years. Think the HD died or something got messed up. The screen turns on and it just rotates and then has a ? mark. I bought cheap ram for it to upgrade it in 2011 or 2012. Kind of sucks as I wanted to use it as my music server but haven't had time to fix it. I am going to change the HD on it and see if it works. If it does then I'll just sell it on craigslist.

5. WJKramer macrumors 6502

Go SSD and you won't have that problem....I upgraded my 2007-08 model with a samsung 256GB SSD. No moving parts, will last longer!

6. musukosan macrumors regular

If it is indeed the HDD, that is a pretty easy fix.

7. strukt macrumors member

strukt

Folder with question mark means that it cant access the disk. So it most probably it ;)

8. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

I went with the same config, except stuck with 8gb (will upgrade after xmas once my wallet isn't on fire anymore) and the trackpad+magic mouse combo (like the mouse for gaming and graphical stuff, touch pad for normal day to day stuff).

Stoked!

9. Sanatogen macrumors member

Sanatogen

I have a similar configuration and I couldn't be any happier with it. I've never been much of an Apple person but this machine is fantastic. There are still things I'm trying to learn and I feel there are still things to explore and discover, makes it more of a joy to play around with.

10. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Super excited too

Ordered a similar spec

Just went for the 3.4ghz i5 and the 256GB - i dont usually store stuff on my computer. I have several USB 3.0 HDD's for the video and media stuff and music in the cloud.

11. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Sounds awesome! I plan on picking up the base 21.5" with 16gb of ram. Seems like a solid machine!

12. theRevIsNotDead macrumors member

theRevIsNotDead

Congrats! I got exactly the same setup! We are Apple bros.

13. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Nice! Enjoy!

I too have a top-of-the-line iMac... from almost four years ago :(.

(This post caught my eye because it died last night -- I wish I had a new iMac! Don't worry, it looks like it's the 3rd-party SSD I put in there, not any of the Apple parts.)

edit: oh, and when you get it, don't forget to set up a Time Machine backup. One day, you might be very happy you did.

14. gagecloutier macrumors member

It would've been better to do the RAM upgrade elsewhere (e.g. Amazon), but congratulations nonetheless! You'll love it. I couldn't live without my Late 2012 maxed-out 27" iMac. It's undoubtedly the best Mac I've ever owned and I've gone from a white MacBook, to an Early 2011 15" MBP, to a 15" rMBP, and then finally to the iMac.

15. KingOfStuff macrumors member

KingOfStuff

i have the same imac. but i ordered mine 2 weeks ago ( i had the opportunity to buy one). and they they refreshed them lol. i called up apple and they said i could go to an apple store and exchange it for a new one with all the upgrades as long as the store has one. The store didnt have any though :(. and i dont feel like shipping his one back to apple, waiting a week for it to get there, then waiting another week for my money to get back in my bank and then waiting another week for the new imac… i feel very satisfied with the performance of this machine and i dont feel the almost 1 month wait is worth the time.

16. theRevIsNotDead macrumors member

theRevIsNotDead

Hey man, if you're happy you're happy!

17. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Nice machine, you'll love it. Might want to see if you can swap the Magic Mouse for the Trackpad. MM is a real piece of junk and a battery hog.