Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyespii

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
I'm not really sure why I did it - sort of an impulse buy. I've always used PCs for the last 15 years, and I've always wanted to try out a mac. I picked up the last gen 15" 2.2 MBP running leopard on clearance, and so far it's a really slick machine. I've already thrown VMWare and XP on it, and I was sooo impressed by how flawlessly it worked! I think I need a bit more RAM (only running 2gb now), and the 120gb is a bit anemic for my tastes. From what I understand, a HDD upgrade is risky, because there is a chance that it will invalidate the warranty, right?

A couple of things though that I really miss having from my last computer (a dell xps m1330).

One - a built-in media card reader! Every PC that I've owned in the last 5 years has had one built-in, and I've owned a fair share of computers! I'm looking longingly at this empty expresscard slot though - are there any good expresscard media card readers out there that work with macs?

Two - the ability to customize whether or not the computer sleeps when you close the lid or not. Sometimes I don't want the computer to sleep (like if i'm downloading or uploading a big file), and I reflexively close the lid if I'm leaving the house or something. Is there any way to customize this on the Mac?

Three - drivers for my logitech mouse! I woulda thought that, as big a company as logitech is, that they'd throw together some better drivers for my logitech MX518 mouse. I tried logitech control center, but no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to work.

Four - the MBP keyboard isn't quite as easy to type on as I thought it would be. This'll probably just take some time to get used to (i hope)

five - and this isn't really a huge deal, but there's no native way of syncing my windows mobile smartphone with the mac. I've tried missing sync, and it still gives me some problems (I still can't get BT sync to work!).

Here are some of the things that I absolutely love about my new toy:

One - EXPOSE. How did I use a computer without this feature before? Absolutely BLOWS that lame windows flip feature in vista out of the water.

Two - Apple Mail. I never thought I'd say this, but apple mail just works so much better than outlook 2007 ever did on my PC. I'm not a heavy exchange user, and apple mail seems quick, light, and, well, FAST. Great program.

Three - spotlight. Again, an amazing feature that vista doesnt get quite right. I don't even know (or care) where my docs and files are, cause spotlight will find'em for me! (except my adium chat logs for some reason)

Four - ambient light sensor and backlit keyboard. not that useful, but wicked cool for sure.

I'm sure I'll discover more things about the mbp that i love, but I'm still new to this thing, and cool things keep popping up every hour that I use it.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Two - the ability to customize whether or not the computer sleeps when you close the lid or not. Sometimes I don't want the computer to sleep (like if i'm downloading or uploading a big file), and I reflexively close the lid if I'm leaving the house or something. Is there any way to customize this on the Mac?

Try this
Four - the MBP keyboard isn't quite as easy to type on as I thought it would be. This'll probably just take some time to get used to (i hope)
You will eventually get used to it, and most likely will like it better then the windows ones...:D

Welcome to :apple:

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
About your Logitech mouse issue. Should you find yourself needing to play a game with Windows XP or Vista, you can always install those operating systems on your Macbook Pro. In fact, you do not have to use OS X at all. So at the very least you will have a sexy piece of hardware. :)

Redgiemental

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
Welcome to Mac. I make the switch 2 years ago thanks to a photography course with shiny new iMacs in the classroom and a new Mac obsessed girlfriend who was happy to buy me a Macbook as a birthday present. She still rocks to this day and so does my Macbook. (No she isn't watching me type this ;))

I prefer this for the sleeping issue http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/SleepLess.shtml. It sits up beside your wireless gauge and you can change your setting in two clicks. So if you sometimes want to just let it sleep on lid close you can change in a snap.

I can't really help you with any of the other issues but I'm sure other posters can.

Some general things don't be afraid to run lots of things at once. This isn't as disastrous as it was on my Windows machines.

You can leave things open for literally days with confidence that the program is unlikely to spontaneously go on strike.

You may find the Dashboard more useful than you'd think after a while if you have simple tasks you repeat often. Unit converter and Stickies being handy tools for myself.

I hope you enjoy your new Macbook Pro and discovering Mac OS.

valvehead

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
USA
Three - drivers for my logitech mouse! I woulda thought that, as big a company as logitech is, that they'd throw together some better drivers for my logitech MX518 mouse. I tried logitech control center, but no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to work.

I don't know how their drivers are under OSX, but Setpoint is buggy and slow on Windows. For OSX try SteerMouse. It works great with my VX Nano. The ability to set actions for each application is great. Thankfully the VX Nano has the defaults actions I want in Windows so I didn't have to install any drivers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.