Just bought my first mac in 7 years...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amc382, Jun 8, 2007.

1. amc382 macrumors regular

This may be a long post, hopefully you'll find it amusing, or interesting. But let me know what you think. I also have a question...

Since 2000 I've been using a Pismo laptop with 400mhz, 6gig HD. Over the years I upgraded the RAM to 256megs, added an airport card, and replaced the screen when it cracked a few years ago. Since about 2005 the battery died completely, so I through it away to get rid of some weight; since then I've been tied to an outlet and had a hole on the left side!

I've always run the most recent version of Mac OS X. Currently this means tiger, but I deleted all the i-apps because they were too slow to be useful. Safari runs okay but chokes with more than a few tabs. I have to reboot regularly because the system uses my HD as virtual memory, but runs out quickly because the HD is so small. When this happens, I also can't save any of my work because there is literally 0 megs free space, but I've used a flash drive to work around this problem.

In spite of all the shortcomings of using a 20th century machine in the 21 century, my pismo has been remarkably durable. The thing keeps chugging along, slowly, and gets the job done. My brother has an external firewire drive, and it can even play DIVX movies without too many hiccups. I was surprised it had the processing power to decode them.

Yesterday I relented and bought a new white macbook. I upgraded the RAM to 2gigs and the HD to 160gigs. I chose it because it has better specs (RAM) than the baseline blackbook and is cheaper as well.

So here's my question: I'm really excited about my first new computer of the in 7 years. I'm curious... how much of a speed boost do you think I'll get? I know I'll finally be able to use iphoto and itunes, and I'm sure the boost will be noticable. But really, what are we talking about?

Thanks for the input.

2. macmike47 macrumors regular

Hey, congratulations! Welcome to the new millenium :)

I'd say you'll notice differences mainly in boot-time and running multiple apps at the same time. Also, 160GB is rather more than 6. And since you'll be able to use iLife, you can start getting creative to fill up all the space. I've had my Powerbook 2-3 years now - she's still going strong, but I'd be surprised if I was still using her in 4 years from now... :D

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I love threads like these! I'm half tempted to see if I can keep my Macbook for 7 years. It takes a lot of dedication to stick to one machine for that long, but it must make things so much simpler.

4. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Sometimes I envy you guys who can stick to one product for years before a huge major upgrade. The problem is, my upgrade path has been always close together, as my old PowerBook G4s, Alu and Titanium, then the first 2GHz MBP, then 2.33, then my current machine. the reason I sometimes envy you is that when you DO upgrade, you feel a HUGE boost in speed, while I rarely feel one at all due to my specs being so close together.

Congrats mate!! Enjoy your buy!!

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

In the beginning you will feel a big boost, but eventually over a course of a year, your mind will catch up to the new speeds and it won't seem that fast anymore.